Apr 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning gave GM Steve Yzerman a huge show of support on Monday, signing him to a four-year contract extension with one year remaining on his current deal.
“Since the day Steve agreed to serve as our vice president and general manager, he has worked tirelessly to transform our hockey department and establish the groundwork for sustained success,” Lightning owner Jeff Vinik said in a statement, announcing that Yzerman’s now signed through the 2018-19 campaign. “We are very pleased with Steve’s job performance thus far, and I am fully confident Steve remains the right person to continue to lead us.”
Yzerman, 48, took the Bolts’ GM gig in the spring of 2010 and has enjoyed a good amount of success in his first four years on the job. The Lightning have reached the playoffs twice — which included going to Game 7 of the 2011 Eastern Conference finals — and Yzerman has done well grooming and transitioning players through the club’s minor-league system (winning the Calder Cup with Norfolk in 2012.)
“I’m grateful for the opportunity to continue the process we started four years ago and would like to thank Jeff Vinik for entrusting me with the responsibility of leading the Tampa Bay Lightning,” Yzerman said. “I’m very excited about what lies ahead for our organization and truly enjoy working with a fantastic group of people in Tampa Bay.”
Some other noteworthy moves from the Yzerman era:
— Signing current captain Steve Stamkos to a five-year, $37.5 million extension in 2011.
— Signing Valtteri Filppula to a five-year, $25 million deal this past summer.
— Buying out the remainder of Vincent Lecavalier‘s 11-year, $85 million contract.
— Dismissing Guy Boucher (who he hired shortly after taking the GM post) and replacing him with Jon Cooper, who has gone 47-35-12 in his first 94 games on the job.
Yzerman has also been lauded for his work as GM of the last two Canadian Olympic teams, which captured gold in both Vancouver (2010) and Sochi (2014). Yzerman has said he won’t be back as Canada’s GM in 2018.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
Mar 26, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
Mar 26, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Colgate standout inks deal, will report to team.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Well, that clears it up.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:57 PM EDT
Was a Hobey Baker and Mike Richter Award finalist in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Click for the video explanation.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
“We will continue to monitor the situation closely and until the continuing legal process is completed, we will have no further comment.”
Mar 26, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
He was the club’s third-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:04 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Triple Gold Club member won a World Championship and Olympic Gold in 2006, and a Stanley Cup in 2008.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
The B’s are desperate for a win.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:36 AM EDT
“He was abusive to the staff at the casino, and when officers tried to take him into custody, he bit one of them on the finger.”
Mar 26, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
He’ll report directly to the NHL club.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
Shattenkirk was having a tremendous season before he got hurt.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:57 AM EDT
It got the ball rolling in Edmonton’s 4-3 win over Colorado.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 4
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 5
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)