Apr 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning gave GM Steve Yzerman a huge show of support on Monday, signing him to a four-year contract extension with one year remaining on his current deal.
“Since the day Steve agreed to serve as our vice president and general manager, he has worked tirelessly to transform our hockey department and establish the groundwork for sustained success,” Lightning owner Jeff Vinik said in a statement, announcing that Yzerman’s now signed through the 2018-19 campaign. “We are very pleased with Steve’s job performance thus far, and I am fully confident Steve remains the right person to continue to lead us.”
Yzerman, 48, took the Bolts’ GM gig in the spring of 2010 and has enjoyed a good amount of success in his first four years on the job. The Lightning have reached the playoffs twice — which included going to Game 7 of the 2011 Eastern Conference finals — and Yzerman has done well grooming and transitioning players through the club’s minor-league system (winning the Calder Cup with Norfolk in 2012.)
“I’m grateful for the opportunity to continue the process we started four years ago and would like to thank Jeff Vinik for entrusting me with the responsibility of leading the Tampa Bay Lightning,” Yzerman said. “I’m very excited about what lies ahead for our organization and truly enjoy working with a fantastic group of people in Tampa Bay.”
Some other noteworthy moves from the Yzerman era:
– Signing current captain Steve Stamkos to a five-year, $37.5 million extension in 2011.
– Signing Valtteri Filppula to a five-year, $25 million deal this past summer.
– Buying out the remainder of Vincent Lecavalier‘s 11-year, $85 million contract.
– Dismissing Guy Boucher (who he hired shortly after taking the GM post) and replacing him with Jon Cooper, who has gone 47-35-12 in his first 94 games on the job.
Yzerman has also been lauded for his work as GM of the last two Canadian Olympic teams, which captured gold in both Vancouver (2010) and Sochi (2014). Yzerman has said he won’t be back as Canada’s GM in 2018.
Aug 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Cory Schneider has some big shoes to fill.
Aug 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Frederik Andersen and John Gibson both have a shot at being No. 1.
Aug 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
The two sides are not budging in contract negotiations.
Aug 30, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Will try to guide the Devils back to the postseason after two straight seasons without playoff hockey in New Jersey.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Will wear a different look in 2014-15.
Aug 30, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Joins the Prince George Cougars as an assistant coach.
Aug 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
After playing over 1,000 NHL games, he’s enjoying the time away.
Aug 30, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
RFA David Wohlberg joins Albany
Aug 30, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
After spending portions of last season as a healthy scratch, he’s looking to revive his career in New Jersey.
Aug 30, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
Father Time always wins … eventually.
Aug 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
” … Until we go into the season and start playing real games, our relationship will be fine.”
Aug 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Can they shoot out of mediocrity?
Aug 29, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Can he fit in well enough to embrace this opportunity?
Aug 29, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Should they make a move or play hardball with free agents?
Aug 29, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Jeff Skinner was also on the ice Friday.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Can’t top No. 4.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
“I’m sleeping with it tonight.”
Aug 29, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks let him walk.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Team has needs at center.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Played 20 career games with Boston.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 0
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 19
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20