Apr 7, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
With all the drama surrounding the Winnipeg Jets’ goaltending and Evander Kane, some injury news might slip under the radar. It’s probably not a huge stunner considering the fact that the Jets have little to play for, but head coach Paul Maurice announced that Dustin Byfuglien‘s season is over thanks to a muscle tear.
Jets captain Andrew Ladd is also labeled “doubtful” to play again in 2013-14 with an undisclosed injury.
Either way, the Jets’ lineup is only really worth noting for a) drama and b) spoiler reasons.
The bigger question may be if Saturday’s victory against the Toronto Maple Leafs could represent Byfuglien’s final game with the Jets, as it’s believed that the team might be interested in shopping the over-sized hybrid forward/defenseman.
For all the questions about Byfuglien’s defensive prowess (and fitness), one cannot deny that the American-born player is an unusual offensive weapon. He reached the 20-goal plateau for the second time in his career this season and also notched his third career 50+ point season.
Combine that with his impressive postseason work back during his time wtih the Chicago Blackhawks (especially often-dominant performances in the 2010 Stanley Cup run when he collected 11 goals and 16 points in 22 playoff games), and one could imagine that there will be a market for the 29-year-old.
Of course, that’s assuming that the Jets decide to move him. Either way, he won’t fire that heavy shot again for Winnipeg again this season.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 7
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 2
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 13
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 19
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)