Apr 7, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
With all the drama surrounding the Winnipeg Jets’ goaltending and Evander Kane, some injury news might slip under the radar. It’s probably not a huge stunner considering the fact that the Jets have little to play for, but head coach Paul Maurice announced that Dustin Byfuglien‘s season is over thanks to a muscle tear.
Jets captain Andrew Ladd is also labeled “doubtful” to play again in 2013-14 with an undisclosed injury.
Either way, the Jets’ lineup is only really worth noting for a) drama and b) spoiler reasons.
The bigger question may be if Saturday’s victory against the Toronto Maple Leafs could represent Byfuglien’s final game with the Jets, as it’s believed that the team might be interested in shopping the over-sized hybrid forward/defenseman.
For all the questions about Byfuglien’s defensive prowess (and fitness), one cannot deny that the American-born player is an unusual offensive weapon. He reached the 20-goal plateau for the second time in his career this season and also notched his third career 50+ point season.
Combine that with his impressive postseason work back during his time wtih the Chicago Blackhawks (especially often-dominant performances in the 2010 Stanley Cup run when he collected 11 goals and 16 points in 22 playoff games), and one could imagine that there will be a market for the 29-year-old.
Of course, that’s assuming that the Jets decide to move him. Either way, he won’t fire that heavy shot again for Winnipeg again this season.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (46)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)