Apr 7, 2014, 7:34 PM EST
With all the drama surrounding the Winnipeg Jets’ goaltending and Evander Kane, some injury news might slip under the radar. It’s probably not a huge stunner considering the fact that the Jets have little to play for, but head coach Paul Maurice announced that Dustin Byfuglien‘s season is over thanks to a muscle tear.
Jets captain Andrew Ladd is also labeled “doubtful” to play again in 2013-14 with an undisclosed injury.
Either way, the Jets’ lineup is only really worth noting for a) drama and b) spoiler reasons.
The bigger question may be if Saturday’s victory against the Toronto Maple Leafs could represent Byfuglien’s final game with the Jets, as it’s believed that the team might be interested in shopping the over-sized hybrid forward/defenseman.
For all the questions about Byfuglien’s defensive prowess (and fitness), one cannot deny that the American-born player is an unusual offensive weapon. He reached the 20-goal plateau for the second time in his career this season and also notched his third career 50+ point season.
Combine that with his impressive postseason work back during his time wtih the Chicago Blackhawks (especially often-dominant performances in the 2010 Stanley Cup run when he collected 11 goals and 16 points in 22 playoff games), and one could imagine that there will be a market for the 29-year-old.
Of course, that’s assuming that the Jets decide to move him. Either way, he won’t fire that heavy shot again for Winnipeg again this season.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)