Apr 7, 2014, 7:34 PM EST
With all the drama surrounding the Winnipeg Jets’ goaltending and Evander Kane, some injury news might slip under the radar. It’s probably not a huge stunner considering the fact that the Jets have little to play for, but head coach Paul Maurice announced that Dustin Byfuglien‘s season is over thanks to a muscle tear.
Jets captain Andrew Ladd is also labeled “doubtful” to play again in 2013-14 with an undisclosed injury.
Either way, the Jets’ lineup is only really worth noting for a) drama and b) spoiler reasons.
The bigger question may be if Saturday’s victory against the Toronto Maple Leafs could represent Byfuglien’s final game with the Jets, as it’s believed that the team might be interested in shopping the over-sized hybrid forward/defenseman.
For all the questions about Byfuglien’s defensive prowess (and fitness), one cannot deny that the American-born player is an unusual offensive weapon. He reached the 20-goal plateau for the second time in his career this season and also notched his third career 50+ point season.
Combine that with his impressive postseason work back during his time wtih the Chicago Blackhawks (especially often-dominant performances in the 2010 Stanley Cup run when he collected 11 goals and 16 points in 22 playoff games), and one could imagine that there will be a market for the 29-year-old.
Of course, that’s assuming that the Jets decide to move him. Either way, he won’t fire that heavy shot again for Winnipeg again this season.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)