Apr 7, 2014, 12:37 PM EST
Six years after he was drafted by the Boston Bruins (explaining the image), Michael Hutchinson will make his NHL debut in goal for the Winnipeg Jets.
Hutchinson has spent most of the season with AHL St. John’s and ECHL Ontario. Tonight against the visiting Wild, the 24-year-old will step in for starter Ondrej Pavelec. (The team’s regular back-up, Al Montoya, is injured.)
Goaltending has once again been a weakness for the Jets this season. The team’s save percentage (.905) ranks in the bottom third of the NHL, just as it did last season. And the season before that. And the one before that, when the franchise was still in Atlanta.
Pavelec is signed through 2016-17 for a cap hit of $3.9 million. Among regular NHL netminders, his .901 save percentage ranks 44th out of 49. No goalie that’s played as much as he has owns a lower save percentage. And the same was true last year. And the year before.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)