Apr 7, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
Six years after he was drafted by the Boston Bruins (explaining the image), Michael Hutchinson will make his NHL debut in goal for the Winnipeg Jets.
Hutchinson has spent most of the season with AHL St. John’s and ECHL Ontario. Tonight against the visiting Wild, the 24-year-old will step in for starter Ondrej Pavelec. (The team’s regular back-up, Al Montoya, is injured.)
Goaltending has once again been a weakness for the Jets this season. The team’s save percentage (.905) ranks in the bottom third of the NHL, just as it did last season. And the season before that. And the one before that, when the franchise was still in Atlanta.
Pavelec is signed through 2016-17 for a cap hit of $3.9 million. Among regular NHL netminders, his .901 save percentage ranks 44th out of 49. No goalie that’s played as much as he has owns a lower save percentage. And the same was true last year. And the year before.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 0
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)