Apr 7, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Gibson to debut
John Gibson, the Anaheim farmhand considered to be one of the NHL’s best young goaltending talents, will make his big-league debut tonight when the Ducks take on the Canucks in Vancouver.
Gibson, 20, will get the start after Jonas Hiller performed poorly in Sunday’s 4-2 loss to Edmonton (No. 2 Frederik Andersen is out with an upper-body injury). It promises to be an exciting time for both Gibson and the Ducks, as the club has high hopes for his future — the Pittsburgh native captured tournament MVP at the ’13 World Juniors, then performed equally well for the U.S. men’s team at the ’13 Worlds, backstopping the Americans to bronze while posting a 1.56 GAA and .951 save percentage.
Last May, Gibson’s goalie coach with OHL Kitchener said the then-19-year-old was “ready for the NHL right now.”
For the Canucks, Eddie Lack will start for the 19th straight time.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 5
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 8
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 6
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (92)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)