Apr 7, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Gibson to debut
John Gibson, the Anaheim farmhand considered to be one of the NHL’s best young goaltending talents, will make his big-league debut tonight when the Ducks take on the Canucks in Vancouver.
Gibson, 20, will get the start after Jonas Hiller performed poorly in Sunday’s 4-2 loss to Edmonton (No. 2 Frederik Andersen is out with an upper-body injury). It promises to be an exciting time for both Gibson and the Ducks, as the club has high hopes for his future — the Pittsburgh native captured tournament MVP at the ’13 World Juniors, then performed equally well for the U.S. men’s team at the ’13 Worlds, backstopping the Americans to bronze while posting a 1.56 GAA and .951 save percentage.
Last May, Gibson’s goalie coach with OHL Kitchener said the then-19-year-old was “ready for the NHL right now.”
For the Canucks, Eddie Lack will start for the 19th straight time.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)