Apr 7, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Having already absorbed numerous blows to their playoff lives, the Maple Leafs received another one on Monday as the club learned Joffrey Lupul would miss the next three weeks to undergo knee surgery.
Lupul, who missed last Thursday’s big OT win over Boston, returned for Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Winnipeg but was ineffective, finishing minus-1 in just over 12 minutes of action. Prior to getting hurt, Lupul sat third on the team in goals (22) and was averaging 18:28 TOI per game, so losing his services for the final three regular season games will be tough.
Toronto heads into tonight’s action three points back of Columbus for the final wild card spot in the East, with the Jackets holding a game in hand.
On a larger scale, one has to wonder if the Leafs have any regrets for the five-year, $26.25 million extension they gave Lupul last January. The 30-year-old had major injury concerns prior to signing, and has had more health issues since — he missed 30 games last season with a broken forearm and concussion, and has been sidelined for 10 games this year with knee, foot and groin problems.
May 26, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Anaheim didn’t take long to rebound in overtime last night.
May 26, 2015, 1:13 AM EDT
Monday’s tough loss hasn’t weakened his resolve.
May 26, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT
Matt Beleskey scored the game winner after initially losing his second line spot.
May 26, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT
Chicago was trailing for most of the game.
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
The first period was all Anaheim.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 28
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)