Apr 7, 2014, 2:04 PM EST
Having already absorbed numerous blows to their playoff lives, the Maple Leafs received another one on Monday as the club learned Joffrey Lupul would miss the next three weeks to undergo knee surgery.
Lupul, who missed last Thursday’s big OT win over Boston, returned for Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Winnipeg but was ineffective, finishing minus-1 in just over 12 minutes of action. Prior to getting hurt, Lupul sat third on the team in goals (22) and was averaging 18:28 TOI per game, so losing his services for the final three regular season games will be tough.
Toronto heads into tonight’s action three points back of Columbus for the final wild card spot in the East, with the Jackets holding a game in hand.
On a larger scale, one has to wonder if the Leafs have any regrets for the five-year, $26.25 million extension they gave Lupul last January. The 30-year-old had major injury concerns prior to signing, and has had more health issues since — he missed 30 games last season with a broken forearm and concussion, and has been sidelined for 10 games this year with knee, foot and groin problems.
Mar 1, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
All the blockbuster details have been updated.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Sunday’s expected starting goalies.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:02 PM EST
Could Philly move him by Monday?
Mar 1, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
The Islanders winger was February’s best first-year player.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:16 PM EST
A decent catch for a rising team.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EST
Winnipeg faces Los Angeles on Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Mar 1, 2015, 12:21 PM EST
A quick rundown of waiver transactions on Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Anaheim readies for a road-heavy March.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:17 AM EST
Three of his season’s six goals came in the last three games.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:35 AM EST
The first-round pick was a little too rich, it seems.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:37 AM EST
They’ll play again on March 8.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:03 AM EST
San Jose completed its disastrous month with a loss to Ottawa.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:42 AM EST
In other words, he’s probably not going to be dealt before the trade deadline.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:52 PM EST
The Coyotes might not be done dealing yet.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:11 PM EST
Steve Mason was solid in his first start since undergoing knee surgery.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EST
He’s continuing to make his case for the art Trophy.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:12 PM EST
Chicago also added Kimmo Timonen on Friday.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Stakes are high for Philadelphia after Boston and Florida won.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:50 PM EST
His leadership and the confidence that he brings might provide Florida with a big boost.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 23
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (133)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)