Apr 7, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Having already absorbed numerous blows to their playoff lives, the Maple Leafs received another one on Monday as the club learned Joffrey Lupul would miss the next three weeks to undergo knee surgery.
Lupul, who missed last Thursday’s big OT win over Boston, returned for Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Winnipeg but was ineffective, finishing minus-1 in just over 12 minutes of action. Prior to getting hurt, Lupul sat third on the team in goals (22) and was averaging 18:28 TOI per game, so losing his services for the final three regular season games will be tough.
Toronto heads into tonight’s action three points back of Columbus for the final wild card spot in the East, with the Jackets holding a game in hand.
On a larger scale, one has to wonder if the Leafs have any regrets for the five-year, $26.25 million extension they gave Lupul last January. The 30-year-old had major injury concerns prior to signing, and has had more health issues since — he missed 30 games last season with a broken forearm and concussion, and has been sidelined for 10 games this year with knee, foot and groin problems.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fresh off winning the Stanley Cup with Chicago.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
“We are here to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. There are no shortcuts to go around doing that.”
Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
So long, Boston University.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
Some smaller signings to pass your way…
Jul 1, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Still needs to sign a new deal, but Columbus will match any offer sheet.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
The torch has been passed.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Bit of an odd twist.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
Both spent the last few seasons playing in Russia.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
One of the Senators’ main penalty-killers last season.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
One year, $1.25 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Former Jets forward scores a big-money deal.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
27-year-old never really panned out in Boston.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
Having already signed former Canuck Brad Richardson.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:11 PM EDT
Nice raise after playing for $700,000 in Pittsburgh last season.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
End of an era in Toronto. A premier goal-scoring winger heads to Pittsburgh.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 6
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 18
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)