Apr 7, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Even after consecutive losses to non-playoff teams Nashville and Edmonton, the Anaheim Ducks still have a good chance to win the Pacific Division. Tonight, they face another bottom-half-of-the-league side in Vancouver. Anaheim has won all four meetings with the Canucks this season.
And make no mistake, the Ducks should really want to win the Pacific Division. Do that and they’d avoid a tough first-round match-up with postseason-proven Los Angeles, leaving the Sharks and Kings, two strong Stanley Cup hopefuls, to battle each other for a spot in the second round. Currently, Anaheim is most likely to face Minnesota in the opening round.
The Ducks control their own destiny. Earn five points out of a possible eight in their final four games and they’ll clinch first, even if San Jose wins all three of its remaining games.
“It’s tough. I thought [Hiller] played well in the first period,” coach Bruce Boudreau said Sunday after the 4-2 defeat in Edmonton. “Then there were a couple in the second that he could have had. Then in the third, he regained his form again. It’s one of those things where he’s really lacking in confidence, and once the first one went in, he was a little worried until he regained his composure.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)