Apr 7, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Even after consecutive losses to non-playoff teams Nashville and Edmonton, the Anaheim Ducks still have a good chance to win the Pacific Division. Tonight, they face another bottom-half-of-the-league side in Vancouver. Anaheim has won all four meetings with the Canucks this season.
And make no mistake, the Ducks should really want to win the Pacific Division. Do that and they’d avoid a tough first-round match-up with postseason-proven Los Angeles, leaving the Sharks and Kings, two strong Stanley Cup hopefuls, to battle each other for a spot in the second round. Currently, Anaheim is most likely to face Minnesota in the opening round.
The Ducks control their own destiny. Earn five points out of a possible eight in their final four games and they’ll clinch first, even if San Jose wins all three of its remaining games.
“It’s tough. I thought [Hiller] played well in the first period,” coach Bruce Boudreau said Sunday after the 4-2 defeat in Edmonton. “Then there were a couple in the second that he could have had. Then in the third, he regained his form again. It’s one of those things where he’s really lacking in confidence, and once the first one went in, he was a little worried until he regained his composure.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 37
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 31
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 26
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)