Apr 7, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT
On Sunday, sophomore forward Brandon Saad was dropped from the Chicago lineup as part of a “coach’s decision,” per Joel Quenneville. Following the game — a 4-2 win over St. Louis — Quenneville set about explaining the decision, and the ease with which he made it.
“We like tough decisions and we welcome them. This wasn’t one,” Quenneville said, per CSN Chicago. “So we’re looking for tougher ones as we go along. When we put the lineup together we want consistency and playing the right way.”
Saad, who missed three games recently with an upper-body injury, has been invisible over the last two weeks — just one point (an assist) in his last nine games and an ugly three-game stretch versus Boston, Ottawa and Pittsburgh in which he went minus-6 (all three were Chicago losses, coincidentally).
Production-wise, it’s been a pretty big decline. Saad’s one of the better offensive players on the roster and sat fifth on the team in goals (19) prior to the skid and eventual healthy scratch. It’s a level Quenneville wants to see the 21-year-old get back to.
“Guys who are scorers and productive, they’re used to getting that good feeling when you have something to measure your play with,” Quenneville explained. “But playing the right way is something we reinforce, and he never got one of those shifts or games where he was rolling, comfortable with the puck and playing with the pace we’re accustomed to seeing.”
“We expect him to be a big piece of our team. We expect him back the next game [Wednesday, vs. Montreal] and playing his game.”
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)