Apr 7, 2014, 10:41 AM EST
On Sunday, sophomore forward Brandon Saad was dropped from the Chicago lineup as part of a “coach’s decision,” per Joel Quenneville. Following the game — a 4-2 win over St. Louis — Quenneville set about explaining the decision, and the ease with which he made it.
“We like tough decisions and we welcome them. This wasn’t one,” Quenneville said, per CSN Chicago. “So we’re looking for tougher ones as we go along. When we put the lineup together we want consistency and playing the right way.”
Saad, who missed three games recently with an upper-body injury, has been invisible over the last two weeks — just one point (an assist) in his last nine games and an ugly three-game stretch versus Boston, Ottawa and Pittsburgh in which he went minus-6 (all three were Chicago losses, coincidentally).
Production-wise, it’s been a pretty big decline. Saad’s one of the better offensive players on the roster and sat fifth on the team in goals (19) prior to the skid and eventual healthy scratch. It’s a level Quenneville wants to see the 21-year-old get back to.
“Guys who are scorers and productive, they’re used to getting that good feeling when you have something to measure your play with,” Quenneville explained. “But playing the right way is something we reinforce, and he never got one of those shifts or games where he was rolling, comfortable with the puck and playing with the pace we’re accustomed to seeing.”
“We expect him to be a big piece of our team. We expect him back the next game [Wednesday, vs. Montreal] and playing his game.”
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)