Apr 6, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
Dallas had an opportunity to put some breathing room between them and the Phoenix Coyotes in the battle for the final Wild Card spot. They squandered it.
Panthers goaltender Roberto Luongo turned aside 35 of 37 shots, including 16 in the third period to give Florida a chance to pull off this comeback.
With this loss, both the Stars and Coyotes have four games left and Dallas’ lead is just a point. Neither team can realistically hope to finish with more than the second Wild Card seed and they are the only two serious competitors left for the final postseason spot in the Western Conference.
To make things more intriguing, Dallas and Phoenix are set to play against each other in one of the final games of the regular season on Sunday.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 2
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 32
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 143
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 28
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (145)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)