Apr 6, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
Dallas had an opportunity to put some breathing room between them and the Phoenix Coyotes in the battle for the final Wild Card spot. They squandered it.
Panthers goaltender Roberto Luongo turned aside 35 of 37 shots, including 16 in the third period to give Florida a chance to pull off this comeback.
With this loss, both the Stars and Coyotes have four games left and Dallas’ lead is just a point. Neither team can realistically hope to finish with more than the second Wild Card seed and they are the only two serious competitors left for the final postseason spot in the Western Conference.
To make things more intriguing, Dallas and Phoenix are set to play against each other in one of the final games of the regular season on Sunday.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)