Apr 6, 2014, 3:05 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks kept their hopes of home ice in the first round of the playoffs alive after beating the rival St. Louis Blues 4-2 at United Center.
Marcus Kruger‘s goal 56 seconds into the third period proved to be the game-winner for Chicago. Jeremy Morin had a goal and assisted on Patrick Sharp‘s in the second period to lead the way for Chicago. Corey Crawford stopped 21 shots to earn the win. Ben Smith added the empty-net goal to provide the final score.
The win gives the Blackhawks 105 points and moves them to one point behind the second place Colorado Avalanche in the Central Division. Those two teams are destined to face each other in the playoffs and the higher seed will have home ice advantage.
The downside for Chicago? Colorado has two games in hand including their battle tonight in Denver against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
A few things to take with you into the comments…
— Sharp’s 33 goals leads the Blackhawks. If Patrick Kane hadn’t gotten hurt, those two would be having quite the battle for the team lead there.
— Morin may not be a prolific scorer, but he was recalled when Kane was injured and provided the spark they needed this afternoon.
— We know Elliott is not Ryan Miller, but it’s tough to put him at fault on the Chicago goals. The Blues defense got a bit outworked at times and they turned into goals. Can’t imagine Blues coach Ken Hitchcock likes seeing that.
— Marian Hossa may not have had a point in the game, but his work shorthanded and at even strength was impressive. Maybe let’s throw his name in the hat for the Selke Trophy?
— How about the season Jaden Schwartz is having. He scored his 24th goal in the first period and is providing a lot of that secondary scoring the Blues have been dying for the past couple seasons. Good stuff from the former Colorado College Tiger.
If you missed the game, here are the highlights of the Blackhawks’ win:
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)