Apr 6, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche won’t be facing the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight, or at least not the team fans have become accustomed to seeing.
Forwards Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz as well as defensemen Brooks Orpik and Olli Maatta are out, the team reported. They’re the latest additions to the list of injured Penguins players that also includes Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Pascal Dupuis, and Marcel Goc.
The good news for the Penguins is that none of the newly injured players are dealing with long-term problems and given that they’re locked into the second seed in the Eastern Conference, Pittsburgh would probably jump on any mild ailment as a reason to rest its top guys.
One consequence of tonight’s lineup changes is that Sidney Crosby will once again full short of the 82-game mark. Penguins coach Dan Bylsma previously stated that he had no intention of listing Crosby as a healthy scratch before the playoffs.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 0
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 17
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)