Apr 6, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche won’t be facing the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight, or at least not the team fans have become accustomed to seeing.
Forwards Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz as well as defensemen Brooks Orpik and Olli Maatta are out, the team reported. They’re the latest additions to the list of injured Penguins players that also includes Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Pascal Dupuis, and Marcel Goc.
The good news for the Penguins is that none of the newly injured players are dealing with long-term problems and given that they’re locked into the second seed in the Eastern Conference, Pittsburgh would probably jump on any mild ailment as a reason to rest its top guys.
One consequence of tonight’s lineup changes is that Sidney Crosby will once again full short of the 82-game mark. Penguins coach Dan Bylsma previously stated that he had no intention of listing Crosby as a healthy scratch before the playoffs.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)