Apr 6, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche won’t be facing the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight, or at least not the team fans have become accustomed to seeing.
Forwards Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz as well as defensemen Brooks Orpik and Olli Maatta are out, the team reported. They’re the latest additions to the list of injured Penguins players that also includes Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Pascal Dupuis, and Marcel Goc.
The good news for the Penguins is that none of the newly injured players are dealing with long-term problems and given that they’re locked into the second seed in the Eastern Conference, Pittsburgh would probably jump on any mild ailment as a reason to rest its top guys.
One consequence of tonight’s lineup changes is that Sidney Crosby will once again full short of the 82-game mark. Penguins coach Dan Bylsma previously stated that he had no intention of listing Crosby as a healthy scratch before the playoffs.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)