Apr 6, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
If this weekend was a test to see if the St. Louis Blues are ready for the playoffs, then the results were troubling. The Blues fell short against the Colorado Avalanche and Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday and Sunday respectively.
Elliott didn’t want to highlight a specific problem with the Blues, but did suggest that they need to play as a team in order to succeed. St. Louis doesn’t have a player with more than 60 points this season, but they have tremendous depth as well as strong goaltending.
Blues coach Ken Hitchcock thinks that the team needs to use their final games to “re-energize.”
“I think we had fits at both games. We were really good for the first period yesterday (against Colorado), we had fits in this game, but I think the details of our game are probably lacking,” Hitchcock said. “We look like we’re a little bit tired, so the details that fit us so well and the energy to put those details in place are probably lacking a little bit right now.”
Expectations are high for the Blues after a superb showing in the regular season and the acquisition of goaltender Ryan Miller. They are likely to finish the season with the top seed in the Western Conference and play against Phoenix or Dallas in the first round.
- Jordan Staal needs help off the ice in Canes’ preseason game 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)