Apr 5, 2014, 5:02 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche continued their march towards the playoffs with a decisive 4-0 victory over the St. Louis Blues this afternoon. Semyon Varlamov stopped 31 shots to earn his second shutout of the season.
The game got ugly in the third period with St. Louis’ David Backes, Barret Jackman, Maxim Lapierre, and Brenden Morrow each being handed misconducts. Morrow was also charged with a cross-checking major on the Avalanche’s John Mitchell. In total, the Blues accumulated 61 penalty minutes in the third period.
Colorado has now won six straight games to pull away from Chicago in the battle for the second seed in the Central Division. The Avalanche have a three-point edge over the Blackhawks and have played in one less game.
Stastny had a goal and three points for Colorado. MacKinnon assisted on Stastny’s marker before finding the back of the net himself:
With that, MacKinnon has become the first rookie since Jeff Skinner in 2010-11 to reach the 60-point mark.
The Boston Bruins won today, so St. Louis is now two points back in the battle for the Presidents’ Trophy, although the Blues have played in one less game. St. Louis will play in Chicago on Sunday while Colorado will host the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 47
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 42
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (157)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)