Apr 5, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche continued their march towards the playoffs with a decisive 4-0 victory over the St. Louis Blues this afternoon. Semyon Varlamov stopped 31 shots to earn his second shutout of the season.
The game got ugly in the third period with St. Louis’ David Backes, Barret Jackman, Maxim Lapierre, and Brenden Morrow each being handed misconducts. Morrow was also charged with a cross-checking major on the Avalanche’s John Mitchell. In total, the Blues accumulated 61 penalty minutes in the third period.
Colorado has now won six straight games to pull away from Chicago in the battle for the second seed in the Central Division. The Avalanche have a three-point edge over the Blackhawks and have played in one less game.
Stastny had a goal and three points for Colorado. MacKinnon assisted on Stastny’s marker before finding the back of the net himself:
With that, MacKinnon has become the first rookie since Jeff Skinner in 2010-11 to reach the 60-point mark.
The Boston Bruins won today, so St. Louis is now two points back in the battle for the Presidents’ Trophy, although the Blues have played in one less game. St. Louis will play in Chicago on Sunday while Colorado will host the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)