Apr 5, 2014, 10:11 AM EST
With the 2013-14 campaign almost over, the Los Angeles Kings have an edge in the race for the Jennings Trophy. The award goes to the goalie(s) that play in at least 25 games with the team that allows the least goals in the regular season.
Los Angeles is a bit of a unique case in that regard because Jonathan Quick would be the sole recipient despite the fact that he’s only appeared in only 46 contests. That’s because Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens have split the other 32 starts fairly evenly. Scrivens was dealt to the Edmonton Oilers in January.
Jones and Scrivens deserve a lot of the credit for putting the Kings in the running for this award, but there’s no question that the team’s starting goaltender has been dominant with a 2.03 GAA and .916 save percentage.
As an interesting note, if the Kings do win, it will be the fourth time that Darryl Sutter has coached a team to that award. He previously oversaw Chicago claiming the distinction in 1993 and 1996 and then Calgary in 2006.
“I think that’s pretty interesting considering…probably at the quarter-pole, I don’t know if we’d be in the top-10,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider. “So we’ve come along pretty good. Give credit to everybody.”
The Kings don’t have one of the more successful offenses in the NHL, so they’ve relied on their superior defense and goaltending to get by. So far it has served them decently as the team is set to make the playoffs as the Pacific Division’s third seed.
The Boston Bruins and St. Louis Blues are also still in the running for the award.
- Report: Connolly suffers broken finger in Bruins practice 1
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 9
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)