Apr 5, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
With the 2013-14 campaign almost over, the Los Angeles Kings have an edge in the race for the Jennings Trophy. The award goes to the goalie(s) that play in at least 25 games with the team that allows the least goals in the regular season.
Los Angeles is a bit of a unique case in that regard because Jonathan Quick would be the sole recipient despite the fact that he’s only appeared in only 46 contests. That’s because Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens have split the other 32 starts fairly evenly. Scrivens was dealt to the Edmonton Oilers in January.
Jones and Scrivens deserve a lot of the credit for putting the Kings in the running for this award, but there’s no question that the team’s starting goaltender has been dominant with a 2.03 GAA and .916 save percentage.
As an interesting note, if the Kings do win, it will be the fourth time that Darryl Sutter has coached a team to that award. He previously oversaw Chicago claiming the distinction in 1993 and 1996 and then Calgary in 2006.
“I think that’s pretty interesting considering…probably at the quarter-pole, I don’t know if we’d be in the top-10,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider. “So we’ve come along pretty good. Give credit to everybody.”
The Kings don’t have one of the more successful offenses in the NHL, so they’ve relied on their superior defense and goaltending to get by. So far it has served them decently as the team is set to make the playoffs as the Pacific Division’s third seed.
The Boston Bruins and St. Louis Blues are also still in the running for the award.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 24
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 13
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54