Apr 5, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
With the 2013-14 campaign almost over, the Los Angeles Kings have an edge in the race for the Jennings Trophy. The award goes to the goalie(s) that play in at least 25 games with the team that allows the least goals in the regular season.
Los Angeles is a bit of a unique case in that regard because Jonathan Quick would be the sole recipient despite the fact that he’s only appeared in only 46 contests. That’s because Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens have split the other 32 starts fairly evenly. Scrivens was dealt to the Edmonton Oilers in January.
Jones and Scrivens deserve a lot of the credit for putting the Kings in the running for this award, but there’s no question that the team’s starting goaltender has been dominant with a 2.03 GAA and .916 save percentage.
As an interesting note, if the Kings do win, it will be the fourth time that Darryl Sutter has coached a team to that award. He previously oversaw Chicago claiming the distinction in 1993 and 1996 and then Calgary in 2006.
“I think that’s pretty interesting considering…probably at the quarter-pole, I don’t know if we’d be in the top-10,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider. “So we’ve come along pretty good. Give credit to everybody.”
The Kings don’t have one of the more successful offenses in the NHL, so they’ve relied on their superior defense and goaltending to get by. So far it has served them decently as the team is set to make the playoffs as the Pacific Division’s third seed.
The Boston Bruins and St. Louis Blues are also still in the running for the award.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)