Apr 5, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche handled the St. Louis Blues to the tune of a 4-0 win on Saturday, but the ugly scene at the end of the game might fuel the two teams’ fire more than the score if there’s a rematch in the playoffs.
Never known to back down from a confrontation, Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy called Backes “gutless” for the altercation with the Avs rookie.
While Backes took the high road after the game, Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock provided some interesting comments about his rival bench boss.
Hitchcock didn’t send Ryan Reaves out there, but that doesn’t mean that there wasn’t fallout from the MacKinnon – Backes scuffle and Patrick Bordeleau‘s hit on Kevin Shattenkirk, as you can see in this video:
Just take a look at the box score to get an idea of how much of a mess this situation was.
The good news for the Avalanche is that MacKinnon was able to return to action later on, so at least it doesn’t appear that an injury resulted from that skirmish (unless it appears that way after further inspection).
So, overall, the game ended in a frenzy and these two teams clearly aren’t best friends. At least we’ll have a few extra things to talk about if Colorado and St. Louis end up facing off in a second-round Central Division playoff matchup though, right?
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)