Apr 5, 2014, 2:02 PM EST
Raffi Torres has missed almost the entire season with a knee injury, but it looks like the San Jose Sharks will get him back when it matters the most.
The gritty and controversial forward participated in Friday’s optional practice and might return as early as Wednesday’s game against the Anaheim Ducks.
“I think [Anaheim] would be a good first game if we were going to play him,” Sharks coach Todd McLellan said. “Raffi’s proven earlier that he can come back and play, and play well. … We want him in our lineup and as soon as he’s capable of playing without re-injuring and maintaining that, he’s going in.”
The possibility of him suffering a setback is likely a major concern. The 32-year-old originally returned from a torn ACL on Feb. 27. He got off to a hot start with three goals in his first two games, but he only lasted five contests before he was back on the sidelines.
“The ultimate goal is to have him 100 percent ready to go for playoffs,” McLellan said.
Rookie forward Tomas Hertl also was on the ice Friday as he prepares for a possible return during the playoffs. Getting both of them back would significantly bolster the Sharks depth as they get ready for a probable first round series against the Los Angeles Kings.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)