Apr 5, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins will face the Minnesota Wild on Saturday without promising young defenseman Olli Maatta.
The team didn’t provide details regarding why the 19-year-old isn’t playing, aside from the fact that it’s an undisclosed injury and that an update will be provided after the game.
Update: He’s considered day-to-day.
It’s been quite the debut season for the Finnish defenseman. He has 29 points, a 9 rating and 14 penalty minutes in 75 games played. He also received some valuable experience helping Finland win a bronze medal in Sochi.
If this isn’t a serious issue, this injury break may be a blessing in disguise, as he’s already had a busy first season at the NHL level and could face an extended playoff run to boot.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 45
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (45)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)