Apr 5, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins will face the Minnesota Wild on Saturday without promising young defenseman Olli Maatta.
The team didn’t provide details regarding why the 19-year-old isn’t playing, aside from the fact that it’s an undisclosed injury and that an update will be provided after the game.
Update: He’s considered day-to-day.
It’s been quite the debut season for the Finnish defenseman. He has 29 points, a 9 rating and 14 penalty minutes in 75 games played. He also received some valuable experience helping Finland win a bronze medal in Sochi.
If this isn’t a serious issue, this injury break may be a blessing in disguise, as he’s already had a busy first season at the NHL level and could face an extended playoff run to boot.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 33
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6