Apr 5, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins will face the Minnesota Wild on Saturday without promising young defenseman Olli Maatta.
The team didn’t provide details regarding why the 19-year-old isn’t playing, aside from the fact that it’s an undisclosed injury and that an update will be provided after the game.
Update: He’s considered day-to-day.
It’s been quite the debut season for the Finnish defenseman. He has 29 points, a 9 rating and 14 penalty minutes in 75 games played. He also received some valuable experience helping Finland win a bronze medal in Sochi.
If this isn’t a serious issue, this injury break may be a blessing in disguise, as he’s already had a busy first season at the NHL level and could face an extended playoff run to boot.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)