Apr 5, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Zetterberg underwent back surgery and his return isn’t imminent. Still, he might be able to take a big step forward soon.
“I don’t want to overplay this,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said, per the Detroit News. “We’re hopeful that when we return from our games in Buffalo and Pittsburgh, Hank might be ready, in some form, to begin skating.
“I don’t know if it’ll be all out, or in what form. But we think he could be ready.”
The 33-year-old forward was initially expected to miss at least eight weeks, which the Detroit Free Press noted would set him up for an April 18-19 return. In other words, he won’t be available for Game 1 of the first round — assuming that the Red Wings hold onto their Wild Card spot — but he might be able to join them before the opening series is over.
Detroit has dealt with more than its fair share of injuries this season, to the point where only four players on the team have even played in 70 games. The Red Wings’ fortunes seem to be reserving though, making them a potentially dangerous playoff opponent.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)