Apr 5, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Zetterberg underwent back surgery and his return isn’t imminent. Still, he might be able to take a big step forward soon.
“I don’t want to overplay this,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said, per the Detroit News. “We’re hopeful that when we return from our games in Buffalo and Pittsburgh, Hank might be ready, in some form, to begin skating.
“I don’t know if it’ll be all out, or in what form. But we think he could be ready.”
The 33-year-old forward was initially expected to miss at least eight weeks, which the Detroit Free Press noted would set him up for an April 18-19 return. In other words, he won’t be available for Game 1 of the first round — assuming that the Red Wings hold onto their Wild Card spot — but he might be able to join them before the opening series is over.
Detroit has dealt with more than its fair share of injuries this season, to the point where only four players on the team have even played in 70 games. The Red Wings’ fortunes seem to be reserving though, making them a potentially dangerous playoff opponent.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)