Apr 5, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Zetterberg underwent back surgery and his return isn’t imminent. Still, he might be able to take a big step forward soon.
“I don’t want to overplay this,” Red Wings GM Ken Holland said, per the Detroit News. “We’re hopeful that when we return from our games in Buffalo and Pittsburgh, Hank might be ready, in some form, to begin skating.
“I don’t know if it’ll be all out, or in what form. But we think he could be ready.”
The 33-year-old forward was initially expected to miss at least eight weeks, which the Detroit Free Press noted would set him up for an April 18-19 return. In other words, he won’t be available for Game 1 of the first round — assuming that the Red Wings hold onto their Wild Card spot — but he might be able to join them before the opening series is over.
Detroit has dealt with more than its fair share of injuries this season, to the point where only four players on the team have even played in 70 games. The Red Wings’ fortunes seem to be reserving though, making them a potentially dangerous playoff opponent.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)