Apr 5, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
That’s based off the fact that Kane stayed on the ice after the Jets’ morning skate was over and the vast majority of his teammates had made their way to the locker room. In addition to that being typical of a player that will be scratched, it is unusual for Kane in particular to skate that long, according to the Winnipeg Sun’s Ken Wiebe.
Making Kane’s potential absence all the more glaring is how Maurice chose to explain his decision to start goaltender Ondrej Pavelec tonight.
“Whenever possible you put your best lineup in there,” Maurice said, per PHT’s Joe Yerdon. “They deserve it. The Toronto Maple Leafs deserve it and so do the other teams.”
The 22-year-old forward is in the second season of a six-year, $31.5 million contract, but he has just 17 goals and 39 points in 60 games this season.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (52)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)