Apr 5, 2014, 12:34 AM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes lost hulking center Martin Hanzal for the night on Friday, as he suffered a lower-body injury against the Edmonton Oilers.
There is no further information regarding how serious that issue might be.
The big 27-year-old has dealt with issues on-and-off this season, missing seven games in March and two more in January with issues labeled as lower-body ailments. Hanzal also sat out two games because of a suspension back in late October.
Hanzal began the season on an unusually prolific scoring pace, but he seems to be running out of steam in that area with just one assist in his last eight games.
Even so, the checking Czech center is generally more regarded for his physical and defensive play than his scoring ability. Despite these recent struggles, Phoenix would benefit from his presence during this tough jockeying for playoff positioning against the Dallas Stars.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)