Apr 5, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals grabbed a much-needed win on Saturday, beating the New York Islanders 4-3 via a shootout.
This victory gives the Capitals 83 standings points with four games remaining on their schedule, ending a five-game losing streak in the process.
It’s not all positive numbers for a Capitals team that might benefit from so much attention being heaped on Alex Ovechkin‘s plus/minus rating, which rests at -35 after an even rating on Saturday.
For one thing, the playoff-desperate Capitals saw the Islanders carry shot advantages in every period until overtime. The Isles ultimately out-shot the Capitals 38-29 on Saturday, but Braden Holtby managed to keep the Caps in the game and grab a big win.
It’s also interesting to see how often Washington has entered the “skills competition” this season. The Caps are now 10-10 in shootouts in 2013-14; as of this writing, the San Jose Sharks are the only team who’ve entered a comparable amount of shootouts with 17 (10-7).
Washington was on the right end of it today, anyway, as Evgeny Kuznetsov scored the shootout-winner:
The Capitals travel to St. Louis on Tuesday and Carolina on Thursday before finishing their schedule with home games against Chicago (April 11) and Tampa Bay (April 13).
Mar 28, 2015, 2:16 AM EDT
A round-up of scores from Friday’s NCAA action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Their in Vancouver to face the Canucks on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Crawford pulled in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:28 PM EDT
Crawford was pulled late in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
That’s a blow to Calgary’s post-season hopes.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Nine points since joining Florida.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Not a great start for Chicago.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
The club says he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
New York plays twice this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
They play in Philadelphia on Saturday.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Feb. 24.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Terriers move one step closer to the Frozen Four.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
“In the middle of the ice in our system, it’s a lot of work.”
Mar 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
And, quite possibly, for the remainder of the season.
Mar 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Nail-biting time for Bruins fans.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Joins Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Cole on the shelf.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)