Apr 5, 2014, 8:34 PM EST
The Washington Capitals grabbed a much-needed win on Saturday, beating the New York Islanders 4-3 via a shootout.
This victory gives the Capitals 83 standings points with four games remaining on their schedule, ending a five-game losing streak in the process.
It’s not all positive numbers for a Capitals team that might benefit from so much attention being heaped on Alex Ovechkin‘s plus/minus rating, which rests at -35 after an even rating on Saturday.
For one thing, the playoff-desperate Capitals saw the Islanders carry shot advantages in every period until overtime. The Isles ultimately out-shot the Capitals 38-29 on Saturday, but Braden Holtby managed to keep the Caps in the game and grab a big win.
It’s also interesting to see how often Washington has entered the “skills competition” this season. The Caps are now 10-10 in shootouts in 2013-14; as of this writing, the San Jose Sharks are the only team who’ve entered a comparable amount of shootouts with 17 (10-7).
Washington was on the right end of it today, anyway, as Evgeny Kuznetsov scored the shootout-winner:
The Capitals travel to St. Louis on Tuesday and Carolina on Thursday before finishing their schedule with home games against Chicago (April 11) and Tampa Bay (April 13).
Mar 2, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
A 31-year-old for a 23-year-old.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
For the price of a second-round pick in 2017.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EST
Busy day for Montreal.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:06 PM EST
Speedy winger was rumored to be a trade deadline target.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:58 PM EST
Kids. They do the darndest things.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:43 PM EST
Has only been to the playoffs once in his career.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:38 PM EST
New York gets Mark Louis in the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:23 PM EST
It’s the veteran’s third team this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:18 PM EST
Couple of minor-league forwards switch clubs.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:49 PM EST
Buffalo also gets a third-round pick in 2016.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:44 PM EST
Doug Wilson, making deals.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:41 PM EST
San Jose gets a conditional 2015 or 2016 draft pick in return.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EST
Jim Rutherford and Doug Armstrong orchestrate another.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
Yes, he shoots right.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:02 PM EST
Western Conference foes flip forwards.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:32 PM EST
The goaltender led the Sens to three straight wins.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:10 PM EST
Don Maloney’s a busy man.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:21 AM EST
Couple of potential scenarios being reported.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:56 AM EST
Veteran blueliner is currently sidelined with a concussion, however.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:51 AM EST
Fifth-round pick goes to Buffalo.
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 2
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 59
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)