Apr 5, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers managed to find the back of the net this afternoon, which is more than they could say about some of their recent losses, but it wasn’t enough to reverse their fortunes.
Although they were evenly matched with the Bruins for most of the contest, Boston’s Johnny Boychuk and Milan Lucic scored just 31 seconds apart late in the third period to hand the Bruins a 5-2 victory.
Forward David Krejci got the Bruins on the board first in the first period. Wayne Simmonds even things 14:36 minutes into the second period, giving Philadelphia its first goal in 165:01 minutes, per the Philadelphia Daily News’ Frank Seravalli.
Loui Eriksson also had a big game with a season-high four assists. The Bruins needed their top players to click today after it was determined that Jarome Iginla would miss the game due to a lower-body injury.
With this victory, Boston has guaranteed it will finish the 2013-14 campaign with the best record in the Eastern Conference. Meanwhile, Philadelphia’s hold on the third seed in the Metropolitan Division is vulnerable. It is entirely possible that the Flyers will slip to the second Wild Card spot, which would trigger a first round series between these two teams.
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 0
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 24
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)