Apr 4, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils and Washington Capitals are still in the playoff mix for one of the Eastern Conference’s wild card spots, but both trail the top teams. Friday’s game could elevate one team’s chances while nearly burying the other one’s hopes, so it’s a big contest that you can watch on NBCSN and via the live stream link below.
Washington holds a one-point lead over New Jersey for 10th in the East, trailing the Toronto Maple Leafs by three (84 to Washington’s 81), Columbus by four (the Blue Jackets have 85 standings points) and Detroit by five (the Red Wings have 86). Every point counts, and the Capitals are running out of time to turn things around with four straight losses (0-2-2).
The Devils have been scrapping for standings points, although they continue to be frustrated in shootouts (all three of their losses in the last four games came via the “skills competition).
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)