Apr 4, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils and Washington Capitals are still in the playoff mix for one of the Eastern Conference’s wild card spots, but both trail the top teams. Friday’s game could elevate one team’s chances while nearly burying the other one’s hopes, so it’s a big contest that you can watch on NBCSN and via the live stream link below.
Washington holds a one-point lead over New Jersey for 10th in the East, trailing the Toronto Maple Leafs by three (84 to Washington’s 81), Columbus by four (the Blue Jackets have 85 standings points) and Detroit by five (the Red Wings have 86). Every point counts, and the Capitals are running out of time to turn things around with four straight losses (0-2-2).
The Devils have been scrapping for standings points, although they continue to be frustrated in shootouts (all three of their losses in the last four games came via the “skills competition).
- Report: Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 15
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 9
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 3
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 25
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)