Apr 4, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils and Washington Capitals are still in the playoff mix for one of the Eastern Conference’s wild card spots, but both trail the top teams. Friday’s game could elevate one team’s chances while nearly burying the other one’s hopes, so it’s a big contest that you can watch on NBCSN and via the live stream link below.
Washington holds a one-point lead over New Jersey for 10th in the East, trailing the Toronto Maple Leafs by three (84 to Washington’s 81), Columbus by four (the Blue Jackets have 85 standings points) and Detroit by five (the Red Wings have 86). Every point counts, and the Capitals are running out of time to turn things around with four straight losses (0-2-2).
The Devils have been scrapping for standings points, although they continue to be frustrated in shootouts (all three of their losses in the last four games came via the “skills competition).
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)