Apr 4, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets are no longer in the Central Division with the Chicago Blackhawks, yet their former divisional and conference foes continue to torment them when they can.
Far more was on the line for Columbus on Friday, yet Chicago won its 13th consecutive game against the Blue Jackets, and they did so in dramatic (and heartbreaking) fashion.
With about four seconds left, Ben Smith scored the game-winner, denying the Blue Jackets at least one standings point on Friday:
The Blue Jackets still hold the second Eastern wild card spot, but their grip seems a little looser now. With 85 points and five games remaining, they still hold a decent lead over the likes of the Toronto Maple Leafs (84 points and four games remaining), New Jersey Devils (82 points, five games left) and Washington Capitals (81 points, five games left), yet that margin doesn’t seem so imposing after this loss.
It remains to be seen if this ends up being the type of loss that might haunt Columbus; one may even say that they’ll need to be as resilient as a rat.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It’ll be done before camp.”
Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
He was their final restricted free agent.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
He emerged as the team’s No. 2 center last season.
Jul 27, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
That adds another layer to the Flames’ goaltending competition.
Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
He has played in 132 NHL games.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
It led to him having a minor procedure.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
He’ll enter training camp with a shot of making the team.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
“I can be a lot better.”
Jul 27, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
He’s the last RFA left for them to re-sign.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 0
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 3
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 57
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (59)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)