Apr 4, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have been battling for their playoff lives without the services of franchise goalie Mike Smith — and, according to head coach Dave Tippett, they’re going to need to keep doing it.
“He continues to improve,” Tippett said on Friday, per NHL.com. “But no timetable yet.”
Smith was sidelined with a lower-body injury on Mar. 24 and it’s been Thomas Greiss in goal for Phoenix ever since. Greiss started well but has faltered of late, losing 4-0 to the Kings on Wednesday — the Coyotes’ third loss in a row. As a result, Phoenix heads into tonight’s game against Edmonton tied on points with eighth-place Dallas (85), but out of a wild card spot due to fewer regulation/overtime wins (30, to Dallas’ 34).
The Coyotes have five games remaining in the regular season, and eyes are already on the finale — a home date against the Stars on Apr. 13. The hope for Phoenix would be to have Smith back in goal for that game, which could be a winner-gets-into-the-playoffs scenario, but there’s no guaranteeing Smith will be ready. He’s expected to undergo another evaluation of the injury later this weekend, possibly Sunday, meaning he’d have roughly a week to get back into game shape.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)