Apr 4, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have been battling for their playoff lives without the services of franchise goalie Mike Smith — and, according to head coach Dave Tippett, they’re going to need to keep doing it.
“He continues to improve,” Tippett said on Friday, per NHL.com. “But no timetable yet.”
Smith was sidelined with a lower-body injury on Mar. 24 and it’s been Thomas Greiss in goal for Phoenix ever since. Greiss started well but has faltered of late, losing 4-0 to the Kings on Wednesday — the Coyotes’ third loss in a row. As a result, Phoenix heads into tonight’s game against Edmonton tied on points with eighth-place Dallas (85), but out of a wild card spot due to fewer regulation/overtime wins (30, to Dallas’ 34).
The Coyotes have five games remaining in the regular season, and eyes are already on the finale — a home date against the Stars on Apr. 13. The hope for Phoenix would be to have Smith back in goal for that game, which could be a winner-gets-into-the-playoffs scenario, but there’s no guaranteeing Smith will be ready. He’s expected to undergo another evaluation of the injury later this weekend, possibly Sunday, meaning he’d have roughly a week to get back into game shape.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 42
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)