Apr 4, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes have been battling for their playoff lives without the services of franchise goalie Mike Smith — and, according to head coach Dave Tippett, they’re going to need to keep doing it.
“He continues to improve,” Tippett said on Friday, per NHL.com. “But no timetable yet.”
Smith was sidelined with a lower-body injury on Mar. 24 and it’s been Thomas Greiss in goal for Phoenix ever since. Greiss started well but has faltered of late, losing 4-0 to the Kings on Wednesday — the Coyotes’ third loss in a row. As a result, Phoenix heads into tonight’s game against Edmonton tied on points with eighth-place Dallas (85), but out of a wild card spot due to fewer regulation/overtime wins (30, to Dallas’ 34).
The Coyotes have five games remaining in the regular season, and eyes are already on the finale — a home date against the Stars on Apr. 13. The hope for Phoenix would be to have Smith back in goal for that game, which could be a winner-gets-into-the-playoffs scenario, but there’s no guaranteeing Smith will be ready. He’s expected to undergo another evaluation of the injury later this weekend, possibly Sunday, meaning he’d have roughly a week to get back into game shape.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 52
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)