Apr 4, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
With Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane shut down for the remainder of the regular season, a number of Blackhawks forwards have been given the opportunity for extended minutes and bigger roles — none more than Andrew Shaw.
“It’s a big responsibility and I like taking that on,” Shaw said, per the Chicago Tribune. “I have to play strong defensively and compete in those puck areas, get the puck out.”
Shaw, 22, is the embodiment of what’s made Chicago such a successful organization over the last five years. A fifth-round pick at the ’11 NHL Entry Draft, he’s proven to be a hidden gem, debuting in 2011-12 (how many 5th-rounders debut in their draft year?), then playing a huge role en route to last year’s Stanley Cup.
This season, he’s scored a career-high 19 goals and 36 points.
While there are still areas of his game that needs improvement — most notably in the faceoff circle, where he’s just 44 percent this year — the fact Shaw has gone from a fifth-round pick to centering Hossa and Sharp in the span of three years is evidence to how well the ‘Hawks have drafted, and how much their player development is aided by surrounding youngsters with veteran talent.
“Obviously I’m playing with great players,” Shaw explained. “Hopefully we can create some chemistry here.”
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)