Apr 4, 2014, 2:01 AM EDT
It’s obvious the San Jose Sharks and L.A. Kings really don’t like each other. They showed that Thursday night, and it’s setting up like they might renew this rivalry in the playoffs.
The Sharks, thanks to second period goals from Brent Burns and Logan Couture, defeated the Kings, playing their second game in as many nights, by a final score of 2-1. As a result, the Sharks move to within one point of the Anaheim Ducks for first in the Pacific Division.
As per TSN, the Sharks clinch home ice in the opening round of the playoffs.
There wasn’t much room for either team to create in the offensive zone. But this game wasn’t short on intensity or emotion, something you’d come to expect from two California teams. Jason Demers of the Sharks was involved, called for tripping when he stuck out his knee on Kings’ defenseman Jake Muzzin and sent him flying through the air in the first period.
The physical toll in the game could have a negative impact for the Kings. They lost defenseman Drew Doughty in the first period with an upper-body injury, suffered when he attempted to throw a hit in the defensive end. He didn’t return to the game.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)