Apr 4, 2014, 2:01 AM EDT
It’s obvious the San Jose Sharks and L.A. Kings really don’t like each other. They showed that Thursday night, and it’s setting up like they might renew this rivalry in the playoffs.
The Sharks, thanks to second period goals from Brent Burns and Logan Couture, defeated the Kings, playing their second game in as many nights, by a final score of 2-1. As a result, the Sharks move to within one point of the Anaheim Ducks for first in the Pacific Division.
As per TSN, the Sharks clinch home ice in the opening round of the playoffs.
There wasn’t much room for either team to create in the offensive zone. But this game wasn’t short on intensity or emotion, something you’d come to expect from two California teams. Jason Demers of the Sharks was involved, called for tripping when he stuck out his knee on Kings’ defenseman Jake Muzzin and sent him flying through the air in the first period.
The physical toll in the game could have a negative impact for the Kings. They lost defenseman Drew Doughty in the first period with an upper-body injury, suffered when he attempted to throw a hit in the defensive end. He didn’t return to the game.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)