Apr 4, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
When Bobby Ryan was acquired from Anaheim last summer, many Sens fans were apprehensive about his contract — mostly because it ran out after the 2014-15 campaign.
Today, those fans might be breathing a little earlier.
In speaking with the Ottawa Citizen, Ryan indicated he’d be more than willing to look at signing an extension with the Sens — here’s more, from the Citizen:
“For me, I love it here. We love it here, more importantly. It’s been a great change for us,” said Ryan, in reference to his fiancée, Danielle Rhodes. “So, when the time comes, if that’s the route Bryan wants to go, we’ll sit down and have a conversation, certainly we’ll do that.”
Even the winter from hell doesn’t seem to have scared Ryan off. Yet.
Ryan was asked if he could see himself being in Ottawa on a long-term contract.
“Yeah, absolutely, and I said that in Anaheim,” said Ryan, drafted second overall by the Ducks in 2005, just behind Sidney Crosby. “When you get drafted by an organization or traded to an organization, you want to reward that organization, you want to be a part of that organization for a long-term deal.”
Ryan, 27, had an interesting first season in Ottawa. He finished with a respectable 23 goals and 48 points in 70 games, but was infamously left off the U.S. Olympic team (because he couldn’t spell intense, apparently) and was shut down last week after undergoing sports hernia surgery — suggesting that some of his stretches of underwhelming play this year came as a result of trying to play through injury.
Overall, Ryan said he season was just so-so, but sounded appreciative of the organization recognizing he was gutting it out with the sports hernia.
“Everyone in the dressing room was supportive and wanted me to be out there, even if I wasn’t a hundred per cent,” he said. “I appreciated the guys for acknowledging that.”
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)