Apr 4, 2014, 10:05 AM EST
TORONTO — Everything about the Toronto Maple Leafs blowing a 3-1 lead to the Boston Bruins in the third period of their game Thursday night reeked of familiarity.
All you have to do is think back to the Leafs’ Game 7 collapse in the third period against the Bruins in last season’s playoffs to know just what was running through the heads of fans in Toronto.
But last night a collapse didn’t happen. Instead, Nazem Kadri scored a power play goal in overtime to give the Maple Leafs a desperately needed 4-3 victory to keep themselves in the playoff race.
While Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said last season’s Game 7 failure never entered his mind during last night’s game, he provided a bit of advice for his team when things turned heavily in the Bruins favor in the third.
“I tell them to breathe. That’s been our catchphrase now,” Carlyle said. “Because you can’t do anything if you don’t breathe and that’s what’s happened to our hockey club is when we’re freezing, we’re just paralyzed. Just breathe. Just breathe. Take it easy, breathe. We’ll get through it. Do the things that you’re accustomed to doing. Believe in the system, commit to it, and just breathe. Relax.
“You can’t do anything tense. You can’t be all tensed up to play the game.”
It may have been just a regular season game, and one that didn’t really mean a lot to the Bruins, but everything about it was tense from the Toronto perspective.
A loss against Boston would’ve forced Toronto to run the table the rest of the way to have a hope of making the playoffs. Never mind all the psychological bogeymen that losing to the Bruins in such a fashion would’ve brought about.
Instead, the Leafs carry on and perhaps more “breathing” is what they need going into the final four games of the season. They can’t afford to lose now or else another collapse will be added to their legacy.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 11
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)