McDonagh ‘pretty confident’ he’ll be back before playoffs

Apr 4, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

RyanMcDonagh Getty Images

Breathe easy, Rangers fans — your star defenseman sounds like he’ll be ready for the postseason.

“I’m pretty confident that I will be [back before the playoffs],” Ryan McDonagh told the New York Daily News. “That’s my goal. I wish I could be out there right now, but hopefully I get a chance to get back in soon.”

McDonagh, who suffered an upper-body injury on Tuesday in Vancouver, left Rogers Arena with his arm in a sling and didn’t dress for the Rangers’ 3-2 shootout loss in Colorado last night. New York has said McDonagh didn’t suffer any structural damage, though, and will continue to keep him off the ice (and out of the gym) so the ailment can be “calmed down.”

The only question now, it seems, is if McDonagh will get to play in another game before the end of the regular season. The Rangers have four remaining — Saturday versus Ottawa, Tuesday versus Carolina, Thursday versus Buffalo and Saturday at Montreal — and it’s possible he could draw back in for the finale, just to get a bit of game action prior to the start of the postseason.

“I’m gonna play as soon as I can and as soon as I feel confident to play the way I need to play on the ice,” McDonagh said. “I don’t care if we’ve clinched or not.

“Timing wise it’s going to be a lot different at the next stage we’re hopefully going to be at. So I want to get back out there, I want to play and help the guys.”

Latest Posts
  1. Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’

Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT

Dallas Stars v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.

2. Video: Flames’ Gaudreau scored another nice one

Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.

3. Report: Marc Staal wants at least $6M per year from Rangers

Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Four Getty Images

He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.

4. NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton

Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

tkachevvlad Getty Images

Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.

5. Sabres expect Kaleta to miss about one month

Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs V Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.

6. NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale

Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT

islanderslogo

It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.

7. Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’

Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets  v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game Two Getty Images

What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …

8. Drouin’s goal is to return for Lightning opener

Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT

Lightning Camp Hockey AP

He says the “progress has been really good.”

9. Risk Factors: Toronto Maple Leafs edition

Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT

Randy Carlyle Getty Images

Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?

10. Babcock was raving about Smith’s performance versus Leafs

Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”

11. Caps still haven’t identified their 2C

Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Brooks Laich Getty Images

“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”

12. Spezza wants to ‘get comfortable’ before talking contract with Stars

Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT

Florida Panthers v Dallas Stars Getty Images

“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”

13. Jets get good news on eye injuries to Cormier, Galiardi

Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Patrice Cormier Patrice Cormier

Looks like both have avoided serious damage.

14. Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight

Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT

claudegirouxcgetty Getty Images

Flyers captain will make preseason debut at Wells Fargo.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches