Apr 4, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Breathe easy, Rangers fans — your star defenseman sounds like he’ll be ready for the postseason.
“I’m pretty confident that I will be [back before the playoffs],” Ryan McDonagh told the New York Daily News. “That’s my goal. I wish I could be out there right now, but hopefully I get a chance to get back in soon.”
McDonagh, who suffered an upper-body injury on Tuesday in Vancouver, left Rogers Arena with his arm in a sling and didn’t dress for the Rangers’ 3-2 shootout loss in Colorado last night. New York has said McDonagh didn’t suffer any structural damage, though, and will continue to keep him off the ice (and out of the gym) so the ailment can be “calmed down.”
The only question now, it seems, is if McDonagh will get to play in another game before the end of the regular season. The Rangers have four remaining — Saturday versus Ottawa, Tuesday versus Carolina, Thursday versus Buffalo and Saturday at Montreal — and it’s possible he could draw back in for the finale, just to get a bit of game action prior to the start of the postseason.
“I’m gonna play as soon as I can and as soon as I feel confident to play the way I need to play on the ice,” McDonagh said. “I don’t care if we’ve clinched or not.
“Timing wise it’s going to be a lot different at the next stage we’re hopefully going to be at. So I want to get back out there, I want to play and help the guys.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)