Apr 4, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Breathe easy, Rangers fans — your star defenseman sounds like he’ll be ready for the postseason.
“I’m pretty confident that I will be [back before the playoffs],” Ryan McDonagh told the New York Daily News. “That’s my goal. I wish I could be out there right now, but hopefully I get a chance to get back in soon.”
McDonagh, who suffered an upper-body injury on Tuesday in Vancouver, left Rogers Arena with his arm in a sling and didn’t dress for the Rangers’ 3-2 shootout loss in Colorado last night. New York has said McDonagh didn’t suffer any structural damage, though, and will continue to keep him off the ice (and out of the gym) so the ailment can be “calmed down.”
The only question now, it seems, is if McDonagh will get to play in another game before the end of the regular season. The Rangers have four remaining — Saturday versus Ottawa, Tuesday versus Carolina, Thursday versus Buffalo and Saturday at Montreal — and it’s possible he could draw back in for the finale, just to get a bit of game action prior to the start of the postseason.
“I’m gonna play as soon as I can and as soon as I feel confident to play the way I need to play on the ice,” McDonagh said. “I don’t care if we’ve clinched or not.
“Timing wise it’s going to be a lot different at the next stage we’re hopefully going to be at. So I want to get back out there, I want to play and help the guys.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 0
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 8
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)