Apr 4, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Breathe easy, Rangers fans — your star defenseman sounds like he’ll be ready for the postseason.
“I’m pretty confident that I will be [back before the playoffs],” Ryan McDonagh told the New York Daily News. “That’s my goal. I wish I could be out there right now, but hopefully I get a chance to get back in soon.”
McDonagh, who suffered an upper-body injury on Tuesday in Vancouver, left Rogers Arena with his arm in a sling and didn’t dress for the Rangers’ 3-2 shootout loss in Colorado last night. New York has said McDonagh didn’t suffer any structural damage, though, and will continue to keep him off the ice (and out of the gym) so the ailment can be “calmed down.”
The only question now, it seems, is if McDonagh will get to play in another game before the end of the regular season. The Rangers have four remaining — Saturday versus Ottawa, Tuesday versus Carolina, Thursday versus Buffalo and Saturday at Montreal — and it’s possible he could draw back in for the finale, just to get a bit of game action prior to the start of the postseason.
“I’m gonna play as soon as I can and as soon as I feel confident to play the way I need to play on the ice,” McDonagh said. “I don’t care if we’ve clinched or not.
“Timing wise it’s going to be a lot different at the next stage we’re hopefully going to be at. So I want to get back out there, I want to play and help the guys.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5