Apr 4, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Breathe easy, Rangers fans — your star defenseman sounds like he’ll be ready for the postseason.
“I’m pretty confident that I will be [back before the playoffs],” Ryan McDonagh told the New York Daily News. “That’s my goal. I wish I could be out there right now, but hopefully I get a chance to get back in soon.”
McDonagh, who suffered an upper-body injury on Tuesday in Vancouver, left Rogers Arena with his arm in a sling and didn’t dress for the Rangers’ 3-2 shootout loss in Colorado last night. New York has said McDonagh didn’t suffer any structural damage, though, and will continue to keep him off the ice (and out of the gym) so the ailment can be “calmed down.”
The only question now, it seems, is if McDonagh will get to play in another game before the end of the regular season. The Rangers have four remaining — Saturday versus Ottawa, Tuesday versus Carolina, Thursday versus Buffalo and Saturday at Montreal — and it’s possible he could draw back in for the finale, just to get a bit of game action prior to the start of the postseason.
“I’m gonna play as soon as I can and as soon as I feel confident to play the way I need to play on the ice,” McDonagh said. “I don’t care if we’ve clinched or not.
“Timing wise it’s going to be a lot different at the next stage we’re hopefully going to be at. So I want to get back out there, I want to play and help the guys.”
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 15
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 11
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 26
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 56
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (60)