Apr 4, 2014, 1:44 PM EST
Breathe easy, Rangers fans — your star defenseman sounds like he’ll be ready for the postseason.
“I’m pretty confident that I will be [back before the playoffs],” Ryan McDonagh told the New York Daily News. “That’s my goal. I wish I could be out there right now, but hopefully I get a chance to get back in soon.”
McDonagh, who suffered an upper-body injury on Tuesday in Vancouver, left Rogers Arena with his arm in a sling and didn’t dress for the Rangers’ 3-2 shootout loss in Colorado last night. New York has said McDonagh didn’t suffer any structural damage, though, and will continue to keep him off the ice (and out of the gym) so the ailment can be “calmed down.”
The only question now, it seems, is if McDonagh will get to play in another game before the end of the regular season. The Rangers have four remaining — Saturday versus Ottawa, Tuesday versus Carolina, Thursday versus Buffalo and Saturday at Montreal — and it’s possible he could draw back in for the finale, just to get a bit of game action prior to the start of the postseason.
“I’m gonna play as soon as I can and as soon as I feel confident to play the way I need to play on the ice,” McDonagh said. “I don’t care if we’ve clinched or not.
“Timing wise it’s going to be a lot different at the next stage we’re hopefully going to be at. So I want to get back out there, I want to play and help the guys.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 14
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 48
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)