Apr 4, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings indicate that key defenseman Drew Doughty dodged a bullet despite leaving Thursday’s game against the San Jose Sharks with an upper-body injury. LA Kings Insider passes along word from head coach Darryl Sutter on Friday that Doughty even has an outside chance of playing for the Kings on Saturday.
Doughty, 24, suffered the ailment via this collision from last night’s game:
The Kings are almost certainly locked into third place in the Pacific Division, so there might be less incentive for the blueliner to push things, although Los Angeles seems focused on entering the playoffs on a high note.
For some, the 2014 Olympics were a coming out party for Doughty, as the high-end defenseman’s numbers (37 points in 77 games) sometimes seem a little understated in the Kings’ tight system.
That Olympic run might make an argument that he could actually use a little break, but we’ll see if he needs it.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)