Apr 4, 2014, 7:04 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings indicate that key defenseman Drew Doughty dodged a bullet despite leaving Thursday’s game against the San Jose Sharks with an upper-body injury. LA Kings Insider passes along word from head coach Darryl Sutter on Friday that Doughty even has an outside chance of playing for the Kings on Saturday.
Doughty, 24, suffered the ailment via this collision from last night’s game:
The Kings are almost certainly locked into third place in the Pacific Division, so there might be less incentive for the blueliner to push things, although Los Angeles seems focused on entering the playoffs on a high note.
For some, the 2014 Olympics were a coming out party for Doughty, as the high-end defenseman’s numbers (37 points in 77 games) sometimes seem a little understated in the Kings’ tight system.
That Olympic run might make an argument that he could actually use a little break, but we’ll see if he needs it.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 12
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 14
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14