Apr 4, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings indicate that key defenseman Drew Doughty dodged a bullet despite leaving Thursday’s game against the San Jose Sharks with an upper-body injury. LA Kings Insider passes along word from head coach Darryl Sutter on Friday that Doughty even has an outside chance of playing for the Kings on Saturday.
Doughty, 24, suffered the ailment via this collision from last night’s game:
The Kings are almost certainly locked into third place in the Pacific Division, so there might be less incentive for the blueliner to push things, although Los Angeles seems focused on entering the playoffs on a high note.
For some, the 2014 Olympics were a coming out party for Doughty, as the high-end defenseman’s numbers (37 points in 77 games) sometimes seem a little understated in the Kings’ tight system.
That Olympic run might make an argument that he could actually use a little break, but we’ll see if he needs it.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 14
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 88
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)