Apr 4, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings indicate that key defenseman Drew Doughty dodged a bullet despite leaving Thursday’s game against the San Jose Sharks with an upper-body injury. LA Kings Insider passes along word from head coach Darryl Sutter on Friday that Doughty even has an outside chance of playing for the Kings on Saturday.
Doughty, 24, suffered the ailment via this collision from last night’s game:
The Kings are almost certainly locked into third place in the Pacific Division, so there might be less incentive for the blueliner to push things, although Los Angeles seems focused on entering the playoffs on a high note.
For some, the 2014 Olympics were a coming out party for Doughty, as the high-end defenseman’s numbers (37 points in 77 games) sometimes seem a little understated in the Kings’ tight system.
That Olympic run might make an argument that he could actually use a little break, but we’ll see if he needs it.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 35
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 98
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (98)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)