Apr 4, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings indicate that key defenseman Drew Doughty dodged a bullet despite leaving Thursday’s game against the San Jose Sharks with an upper-body injury. LA Kings Insider passes along word from head coach Darryl Sutter on Friday that Doughty even has an outside chance of playing for the Kings on Saturday.
Doughty, 24, suffered the ailment via this collision from last night’s game:
The Kings are almost certainly locked into third place in the Pacific Division, so there might be less incentive for the blueliner to push things, although Los Angeles seems focused on entering the playoffs on a high note.
For some, the 2014 Olympics were a coming out party for Doughty, as the high-end defenseman’s numbers (37 points in 77 games) sometimes seem a little understated in the Kings’ tight system.
That Olympic run might make an argument that he could actually use a little break, but we’ll see if he needs it.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)