Apr 4, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils came into Friday’s game against the Washington Capitals a little light on forwards and only became more shorthanded as the contest went along, but they still found a way to grind out a 2-1 win.
The Devils didn’t take any chances with that tricky shootout business, either, winning it in regulation.
Alex Ovechkin opened up the scoring with an increasingly rare even-strength goal:
Tuomo Ruutu found the net to tie things up for the Devils later on:
Ryan Carter scored a beauty of a game-winner for the Devils:
Carter indicated that the Devils were outworked earlier in the contest, but eventually turned that tide against the Caps (who probably cringe on quitting/laziness-type narratives at this point).
With this victory, the Devils now have 82 standings points with five games left. Washington slides to 11th with 81 (and also five games remaining).
It was a great night in general for the Devils (and to some extent, the ninth-ranked Toronto Maple Leafs, who were idle), as the Chicago Blackhawks snagged a late regulation win against the Columbus Blue Jackets as well.
Much like the Devils and Capitals, the Blue Jackets only have five games left this season, although they’re still fairly comfortable with 85 standings points. (Again, things are rosier for the Maple Leafs, who have just four games left but 84 points).
It might not be pretty as the Devils, Capitals and other East teams approach the final stretch, yet it may just come down to who is willing to fight through it. New Jersey was that team, at least tonight.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)