Apr 4, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
The attitude the Blue Jackets assumed when they got the lead last night in Philadelphia is the same one they need to keep with six games to go in their regular season.
“I like how we kept our foot on the pedal,” defenseman James Wisniewski said, per the Columbus Dispatch. “We played it smart, but we didn’t lay back and just defend the whole time. Our defense was active, and we supported each other. It wasn’t them just coming in wave after wave until something bad happens.”
The Jackets came away with a 2-0 victory, the franchise’s first ever in Philly. Tonight, they host Chicago with a chance to go three points up on idle Toronto, currently the team with the best chance to catch them for a playoff spot.
The Blackhawks — minus Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane — also played last night, beating Minnesota in a shootout at the United Center. Which is to say, it’s not the worst time to welcome the Stanley Cup champs to Nationwide Arena.
“We’re in a good position,” said forward Brandon Dubinsky. “It’s not like where we were last year when we had to continue to watch and hope and chase teams. We’re right where we want to be.”
As we wrote yesterday, the Jackets have a golden opportunity to to give their long-suffering fans some playoff excitement.
Now is not the time to take their foot off the pedal.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)