Apr 4, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
The attitude the Blue Jackets assumed when they got the lead last night in Philadelphia is the same one they need to keep with six games to go in their regular season.
“I like how we kept our foot on the pedal,” defenseman James Wisniewski said, per the Columbus Dispatch. “We played it smart, but we didn’t lay back and just defend the whole time. Our defense was active, and we supported each other. It wasn’t them just coming in wave after wave until something bad happens.”
The Jackets came away with a 2-0 victory, the franchise’s first ever in Philly. Tonight, they host Chicago with a chance to go three points up on idle Toronto, currently the team with the best chance to catch them for a playoff spot.
The Blackhawks — minus Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane — also played last night, beating Minnesota in a shootout at the United Center. Which is to say, it’s not the worst time to welcome the Stanley Cup champs to Nationwide Arena.
“We’re in a good position,” said forward Brandon Dubinsky. “It’s not like where we were last year when we had to continue to watch and hope and chase teams. We’re right where we want to be.”
As we wrote yesterday, the Jackets have a golden opportunity to to give their long-suffering fans some playoff excitement.
Now is not the time to take their foot off the pedal.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)