Apr 3, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
It’s a win for the Toronto Maple Leafs. But it bordered on yet another collapse.
The Leafs avoided disaster by defeating the Boston Bruins in overtime by a final score of 4-3 to keep their slim playoff hopes alive. They get back to within a point of the Columbus Blue Jackets – victorious on the same night against the Philadelphia Flyers – for the final Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.
The Leafs entered the third period with a two-goal lead, but that quickly evaporated on home ice. That’s where things got interesting – very interesting, indeed.
Jonathan Bernier left the game with an injury with the Leafs up by a goal, forcing James Reimer into action in a pressure-packed situation (recall that this happened in the middle of March against the L.A. Kings with positive results).
With Reimer into the game, the Bruins got the equalizer from Patrice Bergeron, sending the game into overtime. It very well could’ve been that the Leafs coughed up a two-goal third-period lead, then lost the second point in the extra period.
It didn’t turn out that way. Nazem Kadri‘s power play goal lifted the Leafs to victory.
The update on Bernier afterward was that he has a “lower-body” issue and will have an MRI tomorrow, according to Arash Madani of Sportsnet.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 8
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 4
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 74
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 66
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)