Apr 3, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
It’s a win for the Toronto Maple Leafs. But it bordered on yet another collapse.
The Leafs avoided disaster by defeating the Boston Bruins in overtime by a final score of 4-3 to keep their slim playoff hopes alive. They get back to within a point of the Columbus Blue Jackets – victorious on the same night against the Philadelphia Flyers – for the final Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.
The Leafs entered the third period with a two-goal lead, but that quickly evaporated on home ice. That’s where things got interesting – very interesting, indeed.
Jonathan Bernier left the game with an injury with the Leafs up by a goal, forcing James Reimer into action in a pressure-packed situation (recall that this happened in the middle of March against the L.A. Kings with positive results).
With Reimer into the game, the Bruins got the equalizer from Patrice Bergeron, sending the game into overtime. It very well could’ve been that the Leafs coughed up a two-goal third-period lead, then lost the second point in the extra period.
It didn’t turn out that way. Nazem Kadri‘s power play goal lifted the Leafs to victory.
The update on Bernier afterward was that he has a “lower-body” issue and will have an MRI tomorrow, according to Arash Madani of Sportsnet.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)