Apr 3, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
It’s a win for the Toronto Maple Leafs. But it bordered on yet another collapse.
The Leafs avoided disaster by defeating the Boston Bruins in overtime by a final score of 4-3 to keep their slim playoff hopes alive. They get back to within a point of the Columbus Blue Jackets – victorious on the same night against the Philadelphia Flyers – for the final Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.
The Leafs entered the third period with a two-goal lead, but that quickly evaporated on home ice. That’s where things got interesting – very interesting, indeed.
Jonathan Bernier left the game with an injury with the Leafs up by a goal, forcing James Reimer into action in a pressure-packed situation (recall that this happened in the middle of March against the L.A. Kings with positive results).
With Reimer into the game, the Bruins got the equalizer from Patrice Bergeron, sending the game into overtime. It very well could’ve been that the Leafs coughed up a two-goal third-period lead, then lost the second point in the extra period.
It didn’t turn out that way. Nazem Kadri‘s power play goal lifted the Leafs to victory.
The update on Bernier afterward was that he has a “lower-body” issue and will have an MRI tomorrow, according to Arash Madani of Sportsnet.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)