Apr 3, 2014, 1:01 PM EST
Detroit will get a big boost in its quest for a playoff spot on Friday as Pavel Datsyuk will return to the lineup for the first time since Feb. 27:
Looking forward to a game on Friday! I am in…
— Pavel Datsyuk (@Datsyuk13) April 3, 2014
Hobbled all year with a nagging knee injury — he missed 14 games with it earlier in the season — Datsyuk will return from a 16-game absence to center a line with Darren Helm (who will move to wing) and Justin Abdelkader when the Red Wings host the Sabres tomorrow.
Needless to say, Datsyuk’s return is huge. The 35-year-old has remained highly productive this season despite the knee injury, scoring 33 points in 39 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
His return also signifies one major step forward for Detroit in terms of overall health, as the club now just has three players on injured reserve: Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss and Mikael Samuelsson.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)