Apr 3, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
In a notice of civil claim filed on March 28 with the B.C. Supreme Court, the man alleges that he was attacked by Kane while heading home from work on Aug. 10, 2013 near the corner of Burrard Street and Barclay Street in Vancouver.
The man claims he suffered a concussion and various injuries to the head, neck, shoulders, back, chest, ribs, left leg and heel as a result of the alleged incident.
The man is seeking unspecified damages as well as compensation for past and future health-care costs and legal costs.
According to the Winnipeg Free Press, the accuser — Lev Makievsky — had his claims previously investigated by Vancouver police, who ultimately took no action against Kane.
“We did investigate allegations of an assault on that day and at that location, but given the circumstances of the incident there were no arrests made and there was insufficient evidence to support or recommend any criminal charges,” Constable Brian Montague told the Free Press. “From our perspective, the matter is considered closed.”
Makievsky has since gone the civil route and is now being represented by the Vancouver law firm of Slater Vecchio LLP, which specializes in personal injury claims.
Kane’s agent, Craig Oster, declined to specifically comment on the allegations.
“Evander and us will ensure we do all that we can to ensure that his rights are protected,” said Oster. He said there doesn’t appear to be any prior history or relationship between Kane and the man now suing him.
“This is sort of out of the blue.”
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)