Apr 3, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
In a notice of civil claim filed on March 28 with the B.C. Supreme Court, the man alleges that he was attacked by Kane while heading home from work on Aug. 10, 2013 near the corner of Burrard Street and Barclay Street in Vancouver.
The man claims he suffered a concussion and various injuries to the head, neck, shoulders, back, chest, ribs, left leg and heel as a result of the alleged incident.
The man is seeking unspecified damages as well as compensation for past and future health-care costs and legal costs.
According to the Winnipeg Free Press, the accuser — Lev Makievsky — had his claims previously investigated by Vancouver police, who ultimately took no action against Kane.
“We did investigate allegations of an assault on that day and at that location, but given the circumstances of the incident there were no arrests made and there was insufficient evidence to support or recommend any criminal charges,” Constable Brian Montague told the Free Press. “From our perspective, the matter is considered closed.”
Makievsky has since gone the civil route and is now being represented by the Vancouver law firm of Slater Vecchio LLP, which specializes in personal injury claims.
Kane’s agent, Craig Oster, declined to specifically comment on the allegations.
“Evander and us will ensure we do all that we can to ensure that his rights are protected,” said Oster. He said there doesn’t appear to be any prior history or relationship between Kane and the man now suing him.
“This is sort of out of the blue.”
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)