Jets’ Kane facing lawsuit for alleged assault

Apr 3, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

NEWARK, NJ - NOVEMBER 25: Evander Kane #9 of the Winnipeg Jets skates against the New Jersey Devils at the Prudential Center on November 25, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey. The Jets defeated the Devils 3-1. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images) Getty Images

Winnnipeg forward Evander Kane is being sued by a man who claims Kane assaulted him in downtown Vancouver last summer, CBC reports.

Here’s more:

In a notice of civil claim filed on March 28 with the B.C. Supreme Court, the man alleges that he was attacked by Kane while heading home from work on Aug. 10, 2013 near the corner of Burrard Street and Barclay Street in Vancouver.

The man claims he suffered a concussion and various injuries to the head, neck, shoulders, back, chest, ribs, left leg and heel as a result of the alleged incident.

The man is seeking unspecified damages as well as compensation for past and future health-care costs and legal costs.

According to the Winnipeg Free Press, the accuser — Lev Makievsky — had his claims previously investigated by Vancouver police, who ultimately took no action against Kane.

“We did investigate allegations of an assault on that day and at that location, but given the circumstances of the incident there were no arrests made and there was insufficient evidence to support or recommend any criminal charges,” Constable Brian Montague told the Free Press. “From our perspective, the matter is considered closed.”

Makievsky has since gone the civil route and is now being represented by the Vancouver law firm of Slater Vecchio LLP, which specializes in personal injury claims.

Kane’s agent, Craig Oster, declined to specifically comment on the allegations.

“Evander and us will ensure we do all that we can to ensure that his rights are protected,” said Oster. He said there doesn’t appear to be any prior history or relationship between Kane and the man now suing him.

“This is sort of out of the blue.”

1. jpelle82 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

the guy said he was attacked while he was on his way home from work? as if kane was hiding in an alley and jumped him? pretty weird.

• goodolejr - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:56 AM

That was my exact thought when I read that. It just makes no sense.

• c9castine - Apr 3, 2014 at 2:43 PM

yeah i have a hard time believing that evander kane is just strolling the streets of vancouver looking for random people to attack.

there is either a lot of info missing here and so we dont see the big picture, or this guy is loopy.

2. hockey412 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I wonder what the “circumstances of the incident” were?

Not like I have any clue what happened but when the police show up and take no action whatsoever isn’t it tough to win in civil court? I understand sometimes the police show up, take action, and it results in no charges or no verdict, but this time they showed up and went “no.”.

C’mon nance…it’s only your head, neck, shoulders, back, chest, ribs, left leg and heel….rub some dirt on it and get back in there.

3. patthehockeyfan - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Reading the linked article, this sounds like a money-grab. The police didn’t prosecute, and it’s a little difficult to believe that Kane jumped this guy out of the blue, unprovoked, and for no reason (yeah, I know, redundant; but, written that way for a reason). More likely, they both tangled outside the bar where the complainant worked “in promotions.”

As to Kane having legal trouble before, that was about unpaid traffic tickets.

Finally, I don’t correct others’ spelling / grammar / etc., errors. I have to, though, note Kane’s agent’s quote: “Evander and us will ensure … .” Us will ensure? Oy!

• toiletclown - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Stick to schemeing money off of PHTers some more with your sympathy bullsh1t story you bro jock

• jpelle82 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM

what?!

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM

jpelle82 – apparently, toiletclown objected to my posting information about Tim Bozon. You remember him, right? The Habs’ prospect who developed bacterial meningitis and who was placed in a medically-induced coma.

I commented about Bozon on an unrelated PHT article yesterday (link below). toiletclown is, I think, referring to this.

• ibieiniid - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM

toiletclown doesn’t know what he’s referring to. I still have yet to see a productive comment from him. he’s the epitome of a worthless troll.

• jpelle82 - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM

gotcha. either way ibieniid is right. toiletclown has never produced anything of relevance or importance…ever.

• toiletclown - Apr 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM

What I don’t do is post addresses for you people to send me your hard earned money.

• ibieiniid - Apr 3, 2014 at 4:36 PM

and what you DO do is thumb up your own posts…. so at least you don’t get shut out.

it’s a real fund and that’s the real address, you idiot.

but ya, you might as well start posting addresses to send you money…. nobody’s listening to you anyway. no harm, no foul.

4. killerpgh - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:27 AM

What kind of thug goes after the victims heel?

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM

a heel of a thug

• hockey412 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Probably tried to slew foot him on dry land.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:59 AM

LOL!!

5. pitpenguinsrulez - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Well if he’s in the NFL they’ll accept this kind of garbage.

• ibieiniid - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:07 PM

so you think he’s guilty?

• pitpenguinsrulez - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:23 PM

He could be but I’m just saying that stuff like this gets accepted in the NFL cause it’s all too common theme recently due in part with the Thug Culture of football.

• patthehockeyfan - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Oh, crap! Does that mean that Kane and Makievsky are going to get married? Like Ray Rice and his victim? Oops! I mean fiancé (now wife).

And before ravens-guy (can’t remember his screen name) comments and beats up on me, I’m in Baltimore and only too familiar with our lovely Ravens.

• ibieiniid - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:43 PM

oh ok now I see why you brought that up. the “thugs” you’re referring to are surely only black people. Evander is a black person. so he fits the “thug culture” you wanna talk about. you said nothing of the sort when Varlamov was arrested for beating his wife (Evander could be just as innocent as Varly could have been). in fact, you gave him a pass because “when’s the last time a hockey player was arrested.”

I absolutely hate realizing why certain people are hockey fans…. because it’s a white sport.

• toiletclown - Apr 3, 2014 at 4:09 PM

What better reason

• ibieiniid - Apr 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM

lol stfu dude, you know I don’t care what you think either way.

• nj666 - Apr 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM

kind of like ben rothlesberger…?

• c9castine - Apr 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM

ok well this is pro HOCKEY talk, he plays hockey in the NHL and this particular incident is clearly a bit fishy.

6. kingcobraman - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM

sore loser probably picked the fight and Kane kick his sorry ass….

• ibieiniid - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM

try rephrasing that so you don’t sound like a slopeheaded goon.

• kingcobraman - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM

well if your mommy lets you out of the basement you might see and realize the world operates different than your sheltered little room…

• ibieiniid - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I thought the world correctly conjugates their verbs. sorry. I’ll go back to my shelter and continue to punctuate (somewhat) properly. oh, and to try to be more like the outside world, I’ll go around calling unnamed people that I surely don’t know “sorry asses” and making assumptions about their intentions.

man, sheltered life sucks.

• c9castine - Apr 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM

kingcobra you are tough dude you must be super successful too because those types always make comments about other people living in their moms basements and being sorry asses.

yep, always mature adults that talk like that, for sure.

7. hockeyflow33 - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Is it possible the injuries result from Kane dropping that stack of cash off a balcony?

• ibieiniid - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I’m thinking the guy got as mad as I do when I see sh** carved into the side of people’s heads. Like, press-charges angry.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches