Apr 3, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
In a notice of civil claim filed on March 28 with the B.C. Supreme Court, the man alleges that he was attacked by Kane while heading home from work on Aug. 10, 2013 near the corner of Burrard Street and Barclay Street in Vancouver.
The man claims he suffered a concussion and various injuries to the head, neck, shoulders, back, chest, ribs, left leg and heel as a result of the alleged incident.
The man is seeking unspecified damages as well as compensation for past and future health-care costs and legal costs.
According to the Winnipeg Free Press, the accuser — Lev Makievsky — had his claims previously investigated by Vancouver police, who ultimately took no action against Kane.
“We did investigate allegations of an assault on that day and at that location, but given the circumstances of the incident there were no arrests made and there was insufficient evidence to support or recommend any criminal charges,” Constable Brian Montague told the Free Press. “From our perspective, the matter is considered closed.”
Makievsky has since gone the civil route and is now being represented by the Vancouver law firm of Slater Vecchio LLP, which specializes in personal injury claims.
Kane’s agent, Craig Oster, declined to specifically comment on the allegations.
“Evander and us will ensure we do all that we can to ensure that his rights are protected,” said Oster. He said there doesn’t appear to be any prior history or relationship between Kane and the man now suing him.
“This is sort of out of the blue.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)