Apr 3, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
“Murray rises up and delivers a forceful blow to Kostka’s head, making it the main point of contact and causing a serious injury,” the league’s Department of Player Safety explained. “While we accept Murray’s claim that there was no malicious intent on this hit, he is not successful in making a full bodycheck.”
Here’s the video:
Kostka suffered a concussion on the play, and the player safety department noted that Murray had no history as a repeat offender prior to this hit.
Murray will now miss Montreal’s next three games — against Ottawa, Detroit and Chicago — and will forfeit $23,076.93 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 22
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 7
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11