Apr 3, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“Murray rises up and delivers a forceful blow to Kostka’s head, making it the main point of contact and causing a serious injury,” the league’s Department of Player Safety explained. “While we accept Murray’s claim that there was no malicious intent on this hit, he is not successful in making a full bodycheck.”
Here’s the video:
Kostka suffered a concussion on the play, and the player safety department noted that Murray had no history as a repeat offender prior to this hit.
Murray will now miss Montreal’s next three games — against Ottawa, Detroit and Chicago — and will forfeit $23,076.93 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 0
- A taste of revenge? Blackhawks deal blow to Kings’ playoff hopes 7
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6