Apr 3, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Bob and Steve
Some compelling storylines tonight in Philadelphia as two young goalies will face their former teams — ex-Flyer Sergei Bobrovsky gets the start for Columbus, while ex-Jacket Steve Mason goes for Philly.
Bobrovsky has been good lately, even though his record doesn’t show it. The Russian ‘tender has only allowed seven goals on his last 91 shots (.923 save percentage) but last lost all three of his last starts, including a 3-2 OT decision to Colorado on Tuesday.
Mason also lost his last start in a shootout — 4-3, to the Bruins — but played very well throughout the month of March, going 8-2-2 with a 2.48 GAA and .917 save percentage.
No Miller for Blues
“It’s fine,” Miller said, per NHL.com. “There will be a lot of time to worry about that later. This year it’s pretty fresh leaving that situation, so maybe it’s just a full break, get [Elliott] in there.
“Hopefully I get to see some of the boys for dinner or see them around the rink, catch up and see how they’re doing.”
Elliott hasn’t played much since the Blues acquired Miller, but has been good in the limited chances he’s received. The veteran is 2-0-0 with a .088 GAA and .964 save percentage since Miller came aboard, and has a good shot at bettering those numbers against Buffalo’s anemic offense.
Bruins at Leafs: Jonathan Bernier for Toronto; no word yet on Boston’s starter.
Rangers at Avs: Semyon Varlamov for Colorado; no word yet on a Rangers starter.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)