Apr 3, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres will have a new face in the lineup tonight when defenseman Jake McCabe makes his NHL debut against the Blues in St. Louis.
McCabe signed with the Sabres earlier this week. The 20-year-old University of Wisconsin product was the club’s second-round pick in 2012. He had 25 points in 36 games for the Badgers this season.
“It’s been a whirlwind here the past couple days with talks with Buffalo,” McCabe said, per NHL.com. “When I found out I was going to sign that day, I shipped out that night to Chicago and came to Buffalo, did a couple tests and came right here to St. Louis with the guys. It’s finally starting to set in now, being out there with everyone and putting on the Buffalo gear. It’s exciting. I think I’ll have some nerves, that’s for sure. I can’t wait to get out there tonight.”
What kind of player is McCabe? Here’s a talent analysis from Hockey’s Future:
For such a young player, McCabe thinks the game remarkably well. He possesses excellent vision and anticipates/follows play quite well. While his decision-making does need to improve, it should come with development and maturity. What makes McCabe so effective in defensive situations are his stick work and grit. Another notable characteristic of McCabe’s is his skating. He has good agility and moves well both north-south and laterally.
Related: McCabe named captain of USA juniors
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 4
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)