Apr 2, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s effort is once again being questioned in Washington. And this time it’s by his coach, Adam Oates, who today accused his captain of quitting on the fourth of five goals the Dallas Stars scored last night at the Verizon Center.
As you can see above, Oates was referring to the fact Ray Whitney was allowed to blow by Ovechkin in the neutral zone to pick up a pass from Alex Chiasson in the slot and get it to Dustin Jeffrey for the goal.
As you can see below, Ovechkin was already under the microscope for his five-on-five defensive play. Despite the fact he leads the league with 48 goals, the Russian winger is an NHL-worst minus-36, and his Capitals are on the verge of missing the playoffs for the first time since 2007.
PS — Ovechkin wasn’t the only Cap to be called out by Oates:
PPS — Just for fun…
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)