Apr 2, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s effort is once again being questioned in Washington. And this time it’s by his coach, Adam Oates, who today accused his captain of quitting on the fourth of five goals the Dallas Stars scored last night at the Verizon Center.
As you can see above, Oates was referring to the fact Ray Whitney was allowed to blow by Ovechkin in the neutral zone to pick up a pass from Alex Chiasson in the slot and get it to Dustin Jeffrey for the goal.
As you can see below, Ovechkin was already under the microscope for his five-on-five defensive play. Despite the fact he leads the league with 48 goals, the Russian winger is an NHL-worst minus-36, and his Capitals are on the verge of missing the playoffs for the first time since 2007.
PS — Ovechkin wasn’t the only Cap to be called out by Oates:
PPS — Just for fun…
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 4
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)