Apr 2, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s effort is once again being questioned in Washington. And this time it’s by his coach, Adam Oates, who today accused his captain of quitting on the fourth of five goals the Dallas Stars scored last night at the Verizon Center.
As you can see above, Oates was referring to the fact Ray Whitney was allowed to blow by Ovechkin in the neutral zone to pick up a pass from Alex Chiasson in the slot and get it to Dustin Jeffrey for the goal.
As you can see below, Ovechkin was already under the microscope for his five-on-five defensive play. Despite the fact he leads the league with 48 goals, the Russian winger is an NHL-worst minus-36, and his Capitals are on the verge of missing the playoffs for the first time since 2007.
PS — Ovechkin wasn’t the only Cap to be called out by Oates:
PPS — Just for fun…
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 13
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 48
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)