Apr 2, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s effort is once again being questioned in Washington. And this time it’s by his coach, Adam Oates, who today accused his captain of quitting on the fourth of five goals the Dallas Stars scored last night at the Verizon Center.
As you can see above, Oates was referring to the fact Ray Whitney was allowed to blow by Ovechkin in the neutral zone to pick up a pass from Alex Chiasson in the slot and get it to Dustin Jeffrey for the goal.
As you can see below, Ovechkin was already under the microscope for his five-on-five defensive play. Despite the fact he leads the league with 48 goals, the Russian winger is an NHL-worst minus-36, and his Capitals are on the verge of missing the playoffs for the first time since 2007.
PS — Ovechkin wasn’t the only Cap to be called out by Oates:
PPS — Just for fun…
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 5
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 25
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)