Apr 2, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Yesterday, Pavel Datsyuk hinted he might return from a 15-game absence for tonight’s rivalry night game against Boston.
Today, he confirmed he wouldn’t… and, just for good measure, Detroit lost another veteran presence in the process.
Neither Datsyuk nor Daniel Alfredsson will suit up tonight, per the Red Wings. The veteran Swede hasn’t skated for the past two days (which the club called “maintenance days”) and received under 10 minutes of ice time in Sunday’s 3-2 win over Tampa Bay, notching one assist.
Datsyuk, meanwhile, said conditioning was more of an issue as opposed to pain in his knee, which has been bothering him for most of the calendar year and appeared to get worse while he represented Russia at the Winter Olympics.
Without Datsyk and Alfredsson in the lineup, Detroit will once again be forced to juggle things up front. Gustav Nyquist will skate with David Legwand and Johan Franzen on the top line; Tomas Tatar will go with Riley Sheahan and Tomas Jurco on the second; Darren Helm will center Joakim Andersson and Justin Abdelakder on the third while Luke Glendening will go with Drew Miller and Todd Bertuzzi on the fourth.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 14
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13