Apr 2, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Yesterday, Pavel Datsyuk hinted he might return from a 15-game absence for tonight’s rivalry night game against Boston.
Today, he confirmed he wouldn’t… and, just for good measure, Detroit lost another veteran presence in the process.
Neither Datsyuk nor Daniel Alfredsson will suit up tonight, per the Red Wings. The veteran Swede hasn’t skated for the past two days (which the club called “maintenance days”) and received under 10 minutes of ice time in Sunday’s 3-2 win over Tampa Bay, notching one assist.
Datsyuk, meanwhile, said conditioning was more of an issue as opposed to pain in his knee, which has been bothering him for most of the calendar year and appeared to get worse while he represented Russia at the Winter Olympics.
Without Datsyk and Alfredsson in the lineup, Detroit will once again be forced to juggle things up front. Gustav Nyquist will skate with David Legwand and Johan Franzen on the top line; Tomas Tatar will go with Riley Sheahan and Tomas Jurco on the second; Darren Helm will center Joakim Andersson and Justin Abdelakder on the third while Luke Glendening will go with Drew Miller and Todd Bertuzzi on the fourth.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)