Apr 2, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Some good news for the Rangers regarding Ryan McDonagh — after exiting last night’s win in Vancouver with his left arm in a sling, McDonagh traveled with the team to Colorado for Thursday night’s game, rather than head back to New York for further evaluation.
Here’s more, from the Bergen Record:
If, as expected, McDonagh is unable to play [Thursday vs. Avalanche] , John Moore will return to the lineup after suffering concussion symptoms in 3-1 win at Columbus on March 21. Moore resumed skating five days later and has been practicing with the team since.
Alain Vigneault said in Vancouver Moore needed one more practice and then it would be a coach’s decision when to reinsert him into the lineup. McDonagh’s injury makes the coach’s decision part of it moot.
McDonagh’s injury occurred late in Tuesday’s 3-1 victory, coming on a hit from Canucks forward Alex Burrows. The Rangers defenseman appeared to be in significant pain while lying on the ice, and Burrows was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for the hit.
New York can ill afford to lose McDonagh, so it’s telling that the team is comfortable with him traveling to Colorado rather than returning home (the Rangers won’t get back to New York until Friday.) The New York Post reports there is no structural damage to McDonagh’s shoulder.
McDonagh’s in the midst of an outstanding campaign, posting career highs in goals (14), assists (29), points (43) and TOI per game (25:49).
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 1
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)