Apr 2, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
St. Lawrence’s Greg Carey, St. Cloud State’s Nic Dowd and Boston College’s Johnny Gaudreau have been named the three “Hat Trick” finalists for the 2014 Hobey Baker Award, it was announced on Wednesday.
Carey — who led the Saints in scoring for the last four years and was named co-Player of the Year in the ECAC — and Dowd, who was named first-team NCHC and Defensive Forward of the Year, have both enjoyed tremendous campaigns but will be hard-pressed to beat Gaudreau, a Hobey Hat Trick finalist for the second straight season.
To say Gaudreau dominated the collegiate hockey landscape this year would be an understatement. The Calgary draftee notched an eye-popping 35 goals, 42 assists and 77 points in 39 games this year, finishing first in the country in all three statistical categories. He recorded at least one point in all but two games this year and tied Paul Kariya’s Hockey East record with a 31-game point streak.
Should Gaudreau win the Hobey, he’ll be the third Boston College player to do it and the first since Mike Mottau took home the award in 2000.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 8
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)