Apr 2, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
St. Lawrence’s Greg Carey, St. Cloud State’s Nic Dowd and Boston College’s Johnny Gaudreau have been named the three “Hat Trick” finalists for the 2014 Hobey Baker Award, it was announced on Wednesday.
Carey — who led the Saints in scoring for the last four years and was named co-Player of the Year in the ECAC — and Dowd, who was named first-team NCHC and Defensive Forward of the Year, have both enjoyed tremendous campaigns but will be hard-pressed to beat Gaudreau, a Hobey Hat Trick finalist for the second straight season.
To say Gaudreau dominated the collegiate hockey landscape this year would be an understatement. The Calgary draftee notched an eye-popping 35 goals, 42 assists and 77 points in 39 games this year, finishing first in the country in all three statistical categories. He recorded at least one point in all but two games this year and tied Paul Kariya’s Hockey East record with a 31-game point streak.
Should Gaudreau win the Hobey, he’ll be the third Boston College player to do it and the first since Mike Mottau took home the award in 2000.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)