Apr 2, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings needed two points. They got them.
The Red Wings fell behind the Boston Bruins by a goal early in the third period, but got a pair of pretty goals from Tomas Jurco and Gustav Nyquist just one minute and 42 seconds apart to come back and then had to hold on for a thrilling 3-2 victory on Wednesday.
- The win gives the Red Wings 86 points now on the season, which helps improve their standing in the Eastern Conference Wild Card and playoff race. Keep in mind, the Red Wings are looking for their 23rd consecutive playoff appearance, which would extend their franchise record.
- Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard had to be good early. The Bruins, playing on the road, held a distinct advantage in shots, outshooting their opponents 25-11 after two periods. He made 33 saves on the night.
- With the two teams still scoreless, the Bruins had a goal waved off late in the first period on a questionable goaltending interference call. The controversy didn’t last long. Johnny Boychuk gave Boston the lead about nine seconds later after the faceoff.
- Bit of a scary moment in the second period, as Red Wings’ forward Jurco ran Boychuk hard from behind into the glass. Jurco received only a minor penalty for boarding, while Boychuk remained in the game.
- Jurco, of course, tied the game just past the midway point of the third period.
- The Bruins had their road winning streak snapped at nine games.
- No Jarome Iginla for the Bruins in this one. He sat out with a lower-body ailment, making it the first game he’s missed because of injury in seven years.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)