Apr 2, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings needed two points. They got them.
The Red Wings fell behind the Boston Bruins by a goal early in the third period, but got a pair of pretty goals from Tomas Jurco and Gustav Nyquist just one minute and 42 seconds apart to come back and then had to hold on for a thrilling 3-2 victory on Wednesday.
- The win gives the Red Wings 86 points now on the season, which helps improve their standing in the Eastern Conference Wild Card and playoff race. Keep in mind, the Red Wings are looking for their 23rd consecutive playoff appearance, which would extend their franchise record.
- Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard had to be good early. The Bruins, playing on the road, held a distinct advantage in shots, outshooting their opponents 25-11 after two periods. He made 33 saves on the night.
- With the two teams still scoreless, the Bruins had a goal waved off late in the first period on a questionable goaltending interference call. The controversy didn’t last long. Johnny Boychuk gave Boston the lead about nine seconds later after the faceoff.
- Bit of a scary moment in the second period, as Red Wings’ forward Jurco ran Boychuk hard from behind into the glass. Jurco received only a minor penalty for boarding, while Boychuk remained in the game.
- Jurco, of course, tied the game just past the midway point of the third period.
- The Bruins had their road winning streak snapped at nine games.
- No Jarome Iginla for the Bruins in this one. He sat out with a lower-body ailment, making it the first game he’s missed because of injury in seven years.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)