Apr 2, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings needed two points. They got them.
The Red Wings fell behind the Boston Bruins by a goal early in the third period, but got a pair of pretty goals from Tomas Jurco and Gustav Nyquist just one minute and 42 seconds apart to come back and then had to hold on for a thrilling 3-2 victory on Wednesday.
- The win gives the Red Wings 86 points now on the season, which helps improve their standing in the Eastern Conference Wild Card and playoff race. Keep in mind, the Red Wings are looking for their 23rd consecutive playoff appearance, which would extend their franchise record.
- Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard had to be good early. The Bruins, playing on the road, held a distinct advantage in shots, outshooting their opponents 25-11 after two periods. He made 33 saves on the night.
- With the two teams still scoreless, the Bruins had a goal waved off late in the first period on a questionable goaltending interference call. The controversy didn’t last long. Johnny Boychuk gave Boston the lead about nine seconds later after the faceoff.
- Bit of a scary moment in the second period, as Red Wings’ forward Jurco ran Boychuk hard from behind into the glass. Jurco received only a minor penalty for boarding, while Boychuk remained in the game.
- Jurco, of course, tied the game just past the midway point of the third period.
- The Bruins had their road winning streak snapped at nine games.
- No Jarome Iginla for the Bruins in this one. He sat out with a lower-body ailment, making it the first game he’s missed because of injury in seven years.
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 5
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 43
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 18
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13