Apr 2, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
“I reached out to the kid on Washington just to express the fact that I hope he’s OK and it wasn’t my intention to hurt him,” said Clune, per the Tennessean. “He was the one kind of engaging me, and I had no idea who he was. I don’t even look at the other team’s roster before the game.
“I just see the names they write on the board. The kid said he was OK.”
Here’s the fight:
Clune’s response came after Washington voiced displeasure with how the scrap went down. Head coach Adam Oates and forward Troy Brouwer both remarked that Clune shouldn’t have gone after a fighter as inexperienced as Wey — he had one prior career tilt, back in his junior days — and Tom Wilson was upset Clune didn’t engage him in a subsequent fight.
Clune said he didn’t want to fight Wilson because the Preds had a lead and he didn’t want to risk taking a penalty, but understands why Wilson, Oates and Brouwer reacted they way they did.
“I can understand the Washington organization and the Washington fans being mad, but there’s not much more I can say other than we’ll see each other at another date,” Clune said. “Patrick is going to bounce back.”
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 13
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 10
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 21
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)