Apr 2, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
“I reached out to the kid on Washington just to express the fact that I hope he’s OK and it wasn’t my intention to hurt him,” said Clune, per the Tennessean. “He was the one kind of engaging me, and I had no idea who he was. I don’t even look at the other team’s roster before the game.
“I just see the names they write on the board. The kid said he was OK.”
Here’s the fight:
Clune’s response came after Washington voiced displeasure with how the scrap went down. Head coach Adam Oates and forward Troy Brouwer both remarked that Clune shouldn’t have gone after a fighter as inexperienced as Wey — he had one prior career tilt, back in his junior days — and Tom Wilson was upset Clune didn’t engage him in a subsequent fight.
Clune said he didn’t want to fight Wilson because the Preds had a lead and he didn’t want to risk taking a penalty, but understands why Wilson, Oates and Brouwer reacted they way they did.
“I can understand the Washington organization and the Washington fans being mad, but there’s not much more I can say other than we’ll see each other at another date,” Clune said. “Patrick is going to bounce back.”
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (152)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)