Apr 2, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
“We’re going to be smart and make sure he’ll be 100 percent for the playoffs,” head coach Joel Quenneville said, per CSN Chicago. “We want him rested, ready to play.”
Toews suffered an apparent arm injury on a Brooks Orpik hit during Sunday’s 4-1 loss in Pittsburgh and won’t play the final six games of the year. Kane, who’s been out of action since Mar. 19, was placed on injured reserve two weeks ago with the understanding he’d miss the rest of the regular season as well.
At first glance, it appears the ‘Hawks are simply being cautious with their two stars.
Both Kane and Toews are expected to be healthy and ready to return when the playoffs begin and, while Hockey Cliches 101 says all 82 games are very important, the reality is Chicago has little to play for down the stretch.
The ‘Hawks are on a collision course with Colorado for the opening round, as both are locked into the second and third sports in the Central Division. The only thing really left up for grabs is home-ice advantage, but Colorado has an edge given it’s three points up on Chicago (102 to 99) with a game in hand.
What’s more, the Avs hold a sizable edge in regulation/overtime wins tiebreaker, with 44 to Chicago’s 37.
The ‘Hawks can use these injuries to their advantage, as well.
Shutting down Kane and Toews gives Chicago the chance to 1) rest its two star players, who’ve played a lot of hockey over the last 12 months; 2) give guys like Andrew Shaw bigger roles and more minutes; and 3) get longer looks at some guys from AHL Rockford, like Joakim Nordstrom and Jeremy Morin.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Despite all the splashy moves, patience likely will be needed.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s another arbitration win for Ottawa.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Perhaps you can broaden this to “keeping the puck out of their net.”
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The league estimates such a process could cost about $13.5 million.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
In all likelihood Jack Eichel is going to make the team, but what about Buffalo’s other second overall pick?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
This is his chance to prove he’s a real No. 1 goalie.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
Ron DeGregorio rounded out the group.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The worst should be behind them.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Is his poor Game 7 record reflective of anything?
Aug 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
In other words, how much longer will Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Ryan Kesler stay at the top of their game?
Aug 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
His newly signed two-year deal is an opportunity for
Aug 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
He’s got the size and skill to potentially make an impact.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Andersen, Gibson & Khudobin have a combined 27 Stanley Cup playoff games on their resume.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Will all of them play in 2015-16?
Aug 2, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
That will eat up his first year of UFA eligibility.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)