Apr 2, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
“We’re going to be smart and make sure he’ll be 100 percent for the playoffs,” head coach Joel Quenneville said, per CSN Chicago. “We want him rested, ready to play.”
Toews suffered an apparent arm injury on a Brooks Orpik hit during Sunday’s 4-1 loss in Pittsburgh and won’t play the final six games of the year. Kane, who’s been out of action since Mar. 19, was placed on injured reserve two weeks ago with the understanding he’d miss the rest of the regular season as well.
At first glance, it appears the ‘Hawks are simply being cautious with their two stars.
Both Kane and Toews are expected to be healthy and ready to return when the playoffs begin and, while Hockey Cliches 101 says all 82 games are very important, the reality is Chicago has little to play for down the stretch.
The ‘Hawks are on a collision course with Colorado for the opening round, as both are locked into the second and third sports in the Central Division. The only thing really left up for grabs is home-ice advantage, but Colorado has an edge given it’s three points up on Chicago (102 to 99) with a game in hand.
What’s more, the Avs hold a sizable edge in regulation/overtime wins tiebreaker, with 44 to Chicago’s 37.
The ‘Hawks can use these injuries to their advantage, as well.
Shutting down Kane and Toews gives Chicago the chance to 1) rest its two star players, who’ve played a lot of hockey over the last 12 months; 2) give guys like Andrew Shaw bigger roles and more minutes; and 3) get longer looks at some guys from AHL Rockford, like Joakim Nordstrom and Jeremy Morin.
May 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
It’s unclear if this is injury-related.
May 3, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Three games for a pretty busy Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Yeah, it was quite a goal from No. 8.
May 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Didn’t waste time getting on the board in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
But it doesn’t sound like there will be a dramatic, sudden return.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
“You only have one life, enjoy it.”
May 2, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Without a goal in this post-season.
May 2, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Minnesota almost completed the comeback in Game 1.
May 2, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
“Since the voting period began, we’ve received an astounding 20.4 million votes…”
May 2, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
The Caps were out-shot 15-4 and out-scored 2-0 in the opening 20.
May 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Lundqvist made 30 saves as New York edged Washington 3-2 in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
The highlight-reel goal pulls the Caps to within one.
May 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
He suffered a lower body injury on Friday.
May 2, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Paperwork filed for environmental study.
May 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
One of four first period saves made by the Rangers’ starter.
May 2, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Opened the scoring 38 seconds in.
May 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Puck drop is at 12:30 p.m. ET on NBC.
May 2, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut in April.
May 2, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
He didn’t play a shift in the third period of Thursday’s loss.
May 2, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
How a conversation in Vegas changed the forward’s game.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)