Apr 2, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
“We’re going to be smart and make sure he’ll be 100 percent for the playoffs,” head coach Joel Quenneville said, per CSN Chicago. “We want him rested, ready to play.”
Toews suffered an apparent arm injury on a Brooks Orpik hit during Sunday’s 4-1 loss in Pittsburgh and won’t play the final six games of the year. Kane, who’s been out of action since Mar. 19, was placed on injured reserve two weeks ago with the understanding he’d miss the rest of the regular season as well.
At first glance, it appears the ‘Hawks are simply being cautious with their two stars.
Both Kane and Toews are expected to be healthy and ready to return when the playoffs begin and, while Hockey Cliches 101 says all 82 games are very important, the reality is Chicago has little to play for down the stretch.
The ‘Hawks are on a collision course with Colorado for the opening round, as both are locked into the second and third sports in the Central Division. The only thing really left up for grabs is home-ice advantage, but Colorado has an edge given it’s three points up on Chicago (102 to 99) with a game in hand.
What’s more, the Avs hold a sizable edge in regulation/overtime wins tiebreaker, with 44 to Chicago’s 37.
The ‘Hawks can use these injuries to their advantage, as well.
Shutting down Kane and Toews gives Chicago the chance to 1) rest its two star players, who’ve played a lot of hockey over the last 12 months; 2) give guys like Andrew Shaw bigger roles and more minutes; and 3) get longer looks at some guys from AHL Rockford, like Joakim Nordstrom and Jeremy Morin.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)