Apr 1, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
There are plenty of ways to assess the trade that brought Ryan Callahan to the Tampa Bay Lightning, but one advantage the New York Rangers could boast about was that Martin St. Louis didn’t carry an expiring contract like Callahan. ESPN caught up with Lightning GM Steve Yzerman on Tuesday, who indicated that the Bolts would like to rectify that situation.
“Yeah, we’d love to sign him,” said Yzerman. “He’s a good fit, a good person, a good player, has style of play that really complements our group well; he’s fit in really well. So we hope to sign him. But we won’t talk until after the year.”
The Lightning also grabbed a conditional second-rounder (2014) and a first-round pick (2015) in the trade, but they’d still score some points with fans if they retained Callahan, 29, after having to move their 38-year-old former captain.
If you look at things in terms of mere immediate results, things seem to be going much better for Tampa Bay, at least individually speaking.
Callahan scored his sixth goal in his 14th game with the Lightning tonight, giving him 10 points with his new squad (assuming he doesn’t add more on Tuesday):
Meanwhile, St. Louis struggles with a much-publicized slump; he went to New York with 29 goals on the season and has been stuck there for 14 games. It’s not just bad shooting, either, as he only has three assists. He’ll get his latest chance to turn things around as the Rangers ready for a late game against the Vancouver Canucks tonight.
Again, the early returns favor Tampa Bay. This summer’s negotiations might impact which team is ultimately believed to be the “winner” of the big swap, though.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)