Apr 1, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Could Nail Yakupov be done for the year?
On Monday, Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins suggested as much, telling reporters that Yakupov suffered a setback skating on his injured ankle over the weekend.
“I guess after coming off, it started to blow back up on him,” Eakins said, per the Edmonton Sun. “He’s had a bit of a setback there. As it went on later in the day, it started to swell back up, so we had to take a step back and re-evaluate.”
Yakupov, 20, hasn’t played since taking a puck off the foot against Carolina on Mar. 16. Subsequent testing revealed a fracture, which could be a disappointing end to what’s been a disappointing season.
Following his solid rookie campaign — he led all first-year players in goals, with 17 — Yakupov has struggled in his sophomore year and clashed with Eakins, resulting in a few healthy scratches.
Overall, Yakupov has just 11 goals and 24 points in 63 games this season.
- Report: John Hynes to be named head coach of the Devils 14
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 64
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- Overtime format highlights competition committee meeting agenda 16
- Report: Changes coming to compensation for executives 23
- Here’s your 2015 Stanley Cup Final schedule 33
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years 95
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 5
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 9
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)
- Despite getting further than ever before, big game letdowns continue to haunt Boudreau (64)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (64)