Apr 1, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Could Nail Yakupov be done for the year?
On Monday, Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins suggested as much, telling reporters that Yakupov suffered a setback skating on his injured ankle over the weekend.
“I guess after coming off, it started to blow back up on him,” Eakins said, per the Edmonton Sun. “He’s had a bit of a setback there. As it went on later in the day, it started to swell back up, so we had to take a step back and re-evaluate.”
Yakupov, 20, hasn’t played since taking a puck off the foot against Carolina on Mar. 16. Subsequent testing revealed a fracture, which could be a disappointing end to what’s been a disappointing season.
Following his solid rookie campaign — he led all first-year players in goals, with 17 — Yakupov has struggled in his sophomore year and clashed with Eakins, resulting in a few healthy scratches.
Overall, Yakupov has just 11 goals and 24 points in 63 games this season.
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession 17
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 12
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38