Apr 1, 2014, 10:53 AM EST
Could Nail Yakupov be done for the year?
On Monday, Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins suggested as much, telling reporters that Yakupov suffered a setback skating on his injured ankle over the weekend.
“I guess after coming off, it started to blow back up on him,” Eakins said, per the Edmonton Sun. “He’s had a bit of a setback there. As it went on later in the day, it started to swell back up, so we had to take a step back and re-evaluate.”
Yakupov, 20, hasn’t played since taking a puck off the foot against Carolina on Mar. 16. Subsequent testing revealed a fracture, which could be a disappointing end to what’s been a disappointing season.
Following his solid rookie campaign — he led all first-year players in goals, with 17 — Yakupov has struggled in his sophomore year and clashed with Eakins, resulting in a few healthy scratches.
Overall, Yakupov has just 11 goals and 24 points in 63 games this season.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 3
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)