Apr 1, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Could Nail Yakupov be done for the year?
On Monday, Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins suggested as much, telling reporters that Yakupov suffered a setback skating on his injured ankle over the weekend.
“I guess after coming off, it started to blow back up on him,” Eakins said, per the Edmonton Sun. “He’s had a bit of a setback there. As it went on later in the day, it started to swell back up, so we had to take a step back and re-evaluate.”
Yakupov, 20, hasn’t played since taking a puck off the foot against Carolina on Mar. 16. Subsequent testing revealed a fracture, which could be a disappointing end to what’s been a disappointing season.
Following his solid rookie campaign — he led all first-year players in goals, with 17 — Yakupov has struggled in his sophomore year and clashed with Eakins, resulting in a few healthy scratches.
Overall, Yakupov has just 11 goals and 24 points in 63 games this season.
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 40
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)