Video: Kings’ Muzzin strikes again, delivers another big hit on Wild’s Pominville

Apr 1, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT

The Minnesota Wild won’t be too fond of L.A. Kings’ defenseman Jake Muzzin after tonight’s game.

Muzzin delivered a massive hit, and one that appeared to be high, on Wild forward Jason Pominville with just under eight minutes remaining in the second period. There was no penalty for the hit on the play. Wild forward Matt Moulson was assessed a pair of roughing minors for grabbing Muzzin and tossing him to the ice.

In the first period, Muzzin caught Wild forward Nino Niederreiter with an open-ice hit that, again, appeared to be high.

The Wild went on to win by a final score of 3-2, thanks to quick third period goals from Moulson and Mikko Koivu.

1. luvmnsports2012 - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Cheap kings got what they deserved tonight!! GO WILD!!!!!

2. slickvb82 - Apr 1, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Now this one looked worse. Luckily Pominville is ok considering we lost Granny and Nino in the game. This would make a great playoff series. GO WILD!!!

3. guitarhunterdude - Apr 1, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Yeah, this is the worse of the two. Can’t really tell what happened here without a closer look, though. I’m willing to give Muzzin the benefit of the doubt; he’s no Captain Elbows.

4. clarke16 - Apr 1, 2014 at 1:34 AM

All I can say is–Spurgeon needs to stop pretending to be Stoner in his own end or he needs to find a seat in the press box. Both of the King’s goals this time…

5. mp1131211 - Apr 1, 2014 at 1:56 AM

Hey Joey/Blommer – Defend your dirt bag Kings now! Nothing but a group of filth.

• joey4id - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:04 AM

Hey! A$$hole! I’m not a Kings fan.

• blomfeld - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Hey mp asshole ! … I am a King’s fan, so crawl back into the sewer where you belong !

“May it be that the heels of decency are ‘forever’ brought down on the heads of the wicked”

6. flyerspsu - Apr 1, 2014 at 2:15 AM

honestly thought both were clean hard hits to players who were caught with their heads down

7. hockey412 - Apr 1, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Where’s all the “he caught us with hard open ice hits so he should have to fight someone” comments?

• cofran2004 - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Yeah… people definitely need to be consistant if they’re going to have this complaint. If you’re going to complain about Orpik doing it, you have to complain about this hit too.

8. nicofthenorthstar - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Of the two, I think the Nino hit was closer to being something the NHL might take a longer look at. It’s hard to tell but the main point of contact appears to be shoulder to head with the hit on Nino. He’s gotta keep his head up, though.
    I love love love Moulson’s response. Whether or not the hits were dirty, this is the kind of team focus every team needs. Also, this is how you respond to questionable physical play, not by sending out a couple no talent goons to bloody each other’s noses.

9. nicofthenorthstar - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Joey’s a sensitive one, isn’t he? Again with the name calling.
    Reeelaaax

10. nicofthenorthstar - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:43 PM

There’s Captain Bloomers with his semi-coherent ramblings! Was afraid we lost you in the bottom of a bottle after that tough night for the Kinks.

11. luvmnsports2012 - Apr 1, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Yep, just like I said we were gonna! Stuck it to the Kings lastnight, didn’t we there bongfild! Lol u think the kings are cup bound this year blom?! U must be smokin that ooooooooeeeey! The only thing the Kings have is Dirty play and cheap shots! It’s not really winning when u knock out the competition, and they can’t even do that right!! GO WILD!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh yea, Today, Tomorrow, and FOREVER!!!!!!!!!! LOL

12. tved12 - Apr 1, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I’m a Wild fan and I don’t have an issue with either of these hits. If the Wild were dishing these out I would be pissed if they got a penalty for them.

That said, I liked the reaction of Moulson. At some point you’ve got to stand up for your guys on “borderline” hits like that, especially the 2nd one.

• elvispocomo - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Pretty much my thought. I’m a Canucks fan and felt the Nieds hit on Burrows was legal as well.

They’re legal under the current NHL rules from what I can tell. If the NHL wants to do more about players extending into the hit then they can maybe take more action there, but I don’t see a no head contact rule coming into place.

• tved12 - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Exactly, I’m so sick of fans who think it’s illegal when it happens to their player, but legal when it goes the other way. Sometimes players get hurt on legal hits, it sucks, but it’s not a penalty to hurt somebody with a legal hit.

Hell, even the ref’s are starting to call penalties based on the result. A few weeks ago when Prosser got that game misconduct I couldn’t believe it. It wasn’t even a penalty and they called a game misconduct because a player got hurt, ridiculous!

• slysipops - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM

yeah, he should teach that to the HAWKS !

13. kgod30 - Apr 1, 2014 at 2:59 PM

The hit on Nino was legal (even though he clearly lined him up to take him out up high) but the Pommer hit was an elbow to the head…and as to how that is not penalized or reviewed in mind boggling – considering the King’s Dustin Brown took Pommer out last year. What is more mind boggling is the commentary on MSNBC lauding Muzzin for his hits – when he is head hunting. Lastly, this is the first time I have seen a Wild player try to stick up for a fellow teammate that has received a cheap shot…(note – not talking about a guy being hit – talking about a response to a cheap shot) Bravo Moulson!

• elvispocomo - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:23 PM

It’s ahrd to tell without a better look at the hit, but it appears to me Muzzin keeps his elbow in and only extends it out once contact is made. That’s not an elbow to the head as far as the NHL is concerned and won’t be without a rule change.

• kgod30 - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:48 PM

I looked at it multiple times…it was an elbow to the head…you do not extend the elbow unless you are driving force with your elbow…or doing the chicken dance…Muzzin was not doing the chicken dance….if we was leading with his shoulder…his elbow would not have extended.

• elvispocomo - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I’m still not sure if you’re saying that Muzzin came in with his elbow out, or if you think that extending your arm out after making contact should be called an elbow? I don’t see the first in the video, and the second isn’t actually true.

14. slysipops - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM

wasn’t there some guy who complained here about the BLUES playing like apes ?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches